Bull nursing cow

Help Support CattleToday:

How old is the bull? Do you keep your bulls with the cows year round or just for a breeding season? I would think that the best solution would be to remove the bull.

If it's your herd bull let him finish getting his Job done and haul him to the sales barn. It only gets worse..

Put a nose ring in him period, I would think should fix it. Have never had a bull do it (that I've caught anyways) But it p!sses me off fierce to see a cow suck another cow.

Had one (herd bull). Due to the circumstances it was difficult to catch him in the act. Tip off was the unexplainably poor condition of a number of the calves. Was very clever. Waited until the calf was nursing and snuck up to latch onto a hind tit. Immediately shipped him upon discovery. Suggest you do the same unless you can tolerate stunted calves.

Two year old herd bull. Really nice son of Heston. He is pulled out just trying to figure options.

Put the can't suck ring in his nose and see if that will curtail it. It won't break your bank to do it. If it doesn't work, do as holm25 says and get the cows bred and ship his butt. Is it only one particular cow or any of them?

Supa Dexta":3ivjp35j said:
Put a nose ring in him period, I would think should fix it. Have never had a bull do it (that I've caught anyways) But it p!sses me off fierce to see a cow suck another cow.

Agreed. I don't even like a cow to let another calf suckle

These nose flaps cost about $3. If I see a replacement sucking they get one of these for life. Never saw one sucking afterwards.. saw them attempt it and get kicked in the face for their efforts (very satisfying).
BTW she calved last night. Seems to be a good mother so far.

Latest posts