Bull neck nerve problem

Help Support CattleToday:

redfornow

Reaction score
I have a herford bull (14 months old, 1350lbs) thats been breeding a group of heifers. Monday I noticed he really wasnt moving that well, so I got him up and he went to servicing one of the hiefers for the next little bit. (so I didnt worry, just thought he was tired)
The next day he was much worse, trouble walking standing dragin his feet not moving very far. I called the vet and he came over, he is say nerve or spinal damage. Wants to give a couple of days before he starts meds, hoping he will get better with time. At this point the heifers are out he is by himself plenty of water mineral and loose hay. eating great still, but not movin much.

Have you all ever faced anything like this?? And if so what was your experience??
Thanks so much hope I gave enough info.

MD

Sounds like he pinched a nerve. I'm surprised the vet didn't give an anti-inflamatory shot & Vit B (Complex or B-12, can't remember which one we use for nerve damage - been long time since we used it).

No didnt give a thing wanted to take a wait and see for a couple or three days.
As you can tell I am bummed he was/is to be with the herd next year and was just going to go thru a "test group"
How did your bull turn out?
The vet wouldnt give it one way or the other, just said we will see give him time.

MD

No, I have never had a bull with a problem. (actually, before Macho - I never had a bull of breeding age around here) I was referring to a cow with pinched/damaged nerves from hard calving. Essentially the same thing.

I personally have never heard of such a thing in cattle. But hey you live an learn.

How did your cow turn out.
MD

We had a bull that we thought had a pinched nerve or something of the sorts in his back, he had lost lots of weight and could barely get around. We did just was Jeanne said, Anti-inflammatory and vitamins. He was done with the herd so we left him up on some feed where could recover for a while and now he's seems to be fine, no problems.

I have a cow that has suffered the same problem. Happened about 7 weeks ago. For the first two or three days she could barely get up, but she's moving fairly well now. I put her on Banamine for the first three days, but now pretty much letting it work itself out.

It's worse for a cow than a bull, since she's going to have to be well enough to be bred, and I don't know how long that's going to take.

Thanks all
He is up and moving (very slow) eating and drinking great.
I hope it turns out good, I have high hopes for the young fella next year. lol
I think he could really improve my herd.
Thanks again
MD