bull meat

Help Support CattleToday:

farmguy

Reaction score
I never had this happen before. We were running cattle through our system and a 3 year bull refused to enter the tub. He went wild and became a danger to people, turned and charged gates etc. We turned him out back into a pasture with a few cows. I don't want him around with that temperament but we may likely have to shoot him in the field and eat him ourselves. My question is how would the meat on a 3 year old bull be? One guy said the meat would be no good. He is in good flesh. I never butchered a bull before. thanks for the advise.

farmguy said:
I don't want him around with that temperament but we may likely have to shoot him in the field and
eat him ourselves. My question is how would the meat on a 3 year old bull be? He is in good flesh.
One guy said the meat would be no good.
The guy is misinformed.
You can expect bulls under 3 yrs of age to be very good to eat and over 3 good eating.
I'm sure others who have butchered bulls will jump in with similar comments.

What Butch said. We butchered a char/simm cross that everyone that tasted said it was as good or better than steer.

I have always been told after about 15 months of age, hormones will mess with the meat.
I think you could pull the loin for steaks and have some great hamburg & pot roasts with the rest. I would hang for 14 days.

I ate a 3 1/2 yr old heifer that wouldn't breed and it was tough. She also was all upset over being hauled to a kill facility and penned up. So Bulls don't hold any claim to "bad meat". ALOT of the problems with tough meat is in the process. If you are going to shoot it in the field, make it when the bull is quietly grazing. Keep the adrenaline as low as possible. Then it should be hung and for that a minimum of 21 days. Anyone who raises grass fed will tell you that there is a big difference in an animal that has been hung and aged properly. This is of course no guarantee, but there is alot to be said for the way of killing, with no stress and upset, helping to keep the hormones from coursing through the meat. Think of all the big bucks and such that are killed. They have little or no "knowledge" of it coming. Some will run and cause some adrenaline surge, but if they are dropped "in place" quickly, and properly gutted, and then hung, the meat is still very edible. If they are in rut it will affect it some, but it is the hyping up of the system, nerves, that will cause it to be more inedible, than the age. 3 is not that old, and I think that if properly handled, will make good meat in the freezer.

farmguy said:
I never had this happen before. We were running cattle through our system and a 3 year bull refused to enter the tub. He went wild and became a danger to people, turned and charged gates etc. We turned him out back into a pasture with a few cows. I don't want him around with that temperament but we may likely have to shoot him in the field and eat him ourselves. My question is how would the meat on a 3 year old bull be? One guy said the meat would be no good. He is in good flesh. I never butchered a bull before. thanks for the advise.
The people,s statement about bull meat may have it confused with the meat from a boar hog.

I slaughtered a big grass fed 6 year old Charolais bull and had him ground up. The meat was great in spaghetti sauce and meat loaf. Couldn't form a hamburger without adding an egg or two. Very much on the lean side, to say the least. The flavor was fine though.

Dad butcherd a 3 year old angus bull after all his cows were confirmed bred pulled him straight off pasture it was probably some of beat steaks I've ever ate. And a friend of mine just butchered a 2&1/2 year old bull he ain't complained about the meat.

We slaughtered a 12 month old bull last year. (Brangus). Best beef I ever tasted. Maybe not apples to apples with a 3 year old i guess. He was weened late at 9 months and creep fed for 3 months. Hung for 28 days. Butcher decided when to cut/package by the amount of mold on the carcass.

I'm getting another ready right now.

What Jan said is the important part. Killed calm and quiet you will be happy is my bet.

Latest posts