Bull meat quality

Help Support CattleToday:

S.R.R.

Reaction score
If you do not cut your bull calves does the meat taste different after they are fed out on corn and butchered? Asking because a guy told me my calves will gain better if I leave them in tac and they won,t get sick as easy.

S.R.R.":2pqdqo7g said:
If you do not cut your bull calves does the meat taste different after they are fed out on corn and butchered? Asking because a guy told me my calves will gain better if I leave them in tac and they won,t get sick as easy.
Yes the meat can have a different taste, depending on the age of the bulls at slaughter. Bulls will gain faster than steers but they won't have as good a quality of meat, because they don't marble as much and won't carry as much fat as steers fed the same length of time.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":251ez3pl said:
I thought steers gained better. Isn't that why they bring more money at the sale barn?
Steers of equal quality and weight as bulls will sell higher because they will have a higher grading carcass. They will also put on more pounds for the same amt. of feed as a bull will.

Thanks for the responces. Would it be any use to keep them bulls say for 8 monthes or so then cut them before feeding them out?

I would think not. The longer they stay whole the harder it is on them. And the longer they stay the more it effects the meat.

Scotty

S.R.R.":1exjmhvc said:
Thanks for the responces. Would it be any use to keep them bulls say for 8 monthes or so then cut them before feeding them out?

This is one of those deals that's been going on for years, kind of like knife or band. Cut them young and you lose growth but better quality cut late and get the growth but lose some of it when they're recovering from the cutting. If there is more then one bull they're going to be messing with each other and won;t gain as well simply because their too busy being junior macho boys.

dun

S.R.R.":25hqvycx said:
Would it be any use to keep them bulls say for 8 monthes or so then cut them before feeding them out?
Then you have stags, which isn't in any more demand than bulls.

la4angus":3ob74e3v said:
S.R.R.":3ob74e3v said:
Would it be any use to keep them bulls say for 8 monthes or so then cut them before feeding them out?
Sorry but could you tell me what makes a steer a stag?

S.R.R.":1q1uotvq said:
la4angus":1q1uotvq said:
S.R.R.":1q1uotvq said:
Sorry but could tell me what makes a steer a stag?
By having his nuts left on to long. He develops bullish characateristics

la4angus":25v67gw9 said:
S.R.R.":25v67gw9 said:
la4angus":25v67gw9 said:
S.R.R.":25v67gw9 said:
Sorry but could tell me what makes a steer a stag?
By having his nuts left on to long. He develops bullish characateristics

La, I thought a stag was a steer that still had one testicle. Is this another of those regional things?

Could be. But in my travels and places that I have worked with cattle; about 15 states and in one of the major stockyards with packers and buying cattle to ship for packer buyers an animal that kept his nuts to long developed the bullish characateristics common to stags and were called stags.

Latest posts