Bull market sucks

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Reaction score
Picked up a very nice 18 mo Angus bull from a very reputable breeder at an auction last week. I had him pegged as the best of the group and picked him up for $2050. Not sure what the implications are for the cattle market as a whole, but things aren't good if high quality bulls are selling so poorly..
His epds for anyone interested:
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAALhWzEaolkxsvjAYyw5ZmDRxZjRtGOG1wkIEhY9qkqqz&time=LAAAAAIITc%2f3CmcOfqNbYZcnmT4SjYnF2GDC%2flm6hXt8S4xO0sikCHtzQLOEfUq3c8XXBw%3d%3d

From 10 head to a 1,000 head everyone is a bull breeder. No one has anything that someone else can't have, is the problem in the bull marketing.

True Grit Farms said:
From 10 head to a 1,000 head everyone is a bull breeder. No one has anything that someone else can't have, is the problem in the bull marketing.
its a problem for the breeders,but it gives the commercial man the options on adding some great genetics, to their herd..and not have to mortgage the farm..but your right, all this competition in one market had to pile up..

Lazy M said:
Picked up a very nice 18 mo Angus bull from a very reputable breeder at an auction last week. I had him pegged as the best of the group and picked him up for $2050. Not sure what the implications are for the cattle market as a whole, but things aren't good if high quality bulls are selling so poorly..
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.aspx?aid=FAAAALhWzEaolkxsvjAYyw5ZmDRxZjRtGOG1wkIEhY9qkqqz&time=LAAAAAIITc%2f3CmcOfqNbYZcnmT4SjYnF2GDC%2flm6hXt8S4xO0sikCHtzQLOEfUq3c8XXBw%3d%3d

Here he is. Tear him up, he was cheap. :cowboy:

Lazy M said:
Lazy M said:

Here he is. Tear him up, he was cheap. :cowboy:

I like him. Good job and a very good buy.

Looks "right decent" to me !!!!!!! He's got some shape to his rump too, I like that.
I have to agree that there are an awful lot of bulls on the market today. And the cull bull market is off, so no reason to ship a good older bull if you have cows that he can be used on. We have 2 that are calving ease that we bought 2 different years back at least 6-8 yrs ago. I try to be sure they are not used on their own daughters, but have been used on granddaughters. No good reason to ship them because we breed our heifers a little older/bigger and they can handle these bulls. Both have good dispositions, and we have kept several of their calves off first calf heifers in the past. There will be a time to send them, but with prices having been in the 3-5,000 range up until this past year, we felt we could get some good use out of them. The calves are not so small out of mature cows as we have put them with some cows also. We also have a bull we have kept for at least 8-9 years, he throws nice calves, and is easy to work around. As long as they do the job, and the cull bull market is down, they can stay. It doesn't cost much to keep them as they have done all their growing and they laze away when not with the cows working. We are lucky to have places to make sure they are not used on their own daughters, and often with the older bulls, they don't see any of their kin until at least 3-4 generations off. Not perfect, but why replace something you like the off spring from, if you don't need to? Yep, I hear genetic improvement and all that, but if the cows are putting good calves on the ground, that grow decent and the crop is some - what uniform, so you can sell in groups of 5-10 or more, why change things?

ALACOWMAN said:
Well Seeing him..I don't think he was cheap...

You're probably right. What do you see as his main weaknesses?

Just like a little more depth,bone, and muscle definition.. But he's not a bad looking bull,and still got plenty of growing to do..gotta good crest on him a looks like a bull

Bright Raven said:
Long. Not bad for the price plus I don't trust pictures to do them justice. Especially a cell.
Also purchased a couple Sim bulls from Roy. I took a couple pics of them, but I'd definitely be doing them and Roy a disservice if they were posted :lol:

Lazy M said:
Bright Raven said:
Long. Not bad for the price plus I don't trust pictures to do them justice. Especially a cell.
Also purchased a couple Sim bulls from Roy. I took a couple pics of them, but I'd definitely be doing them and Roy a disservice if they were posted :lol:

I think you are very wise. :cboy:

He has a great program. One of the real geniuses in the business.

I wouldn't put his last name up. :stop:

ALACOWMAN said:
Just like a little more depth,bone, and muscle definition.. But he's not a bad looking bull,and still got plenty of growing to do..gotta good crest on him a looks like a bull

Thanks for the input. I also think he is too thin boned. He has decent muscle but I think his back half is kind of weak. I am pretty excited about his bloodlines and hope he makes some good cows.

Lazy M said:
ALACOWMAN said:

Thanks for the input. I also think he is too thin boned. He has decent muscle but I think his back half is kind of weak. I am pretty excited about his bloodlines and hope he makes some good cows.

He will.

Lazy M said:
ALACOWMAN said:

Now that I read Alacowman's comments, I see what he sees. But those cell phones actually do distort. My guess, is he will grow into a decent bull. If he has a good pedigree, I think you will be well served.

Bright Raven said:
Lazy M said:
ALACOWMAN said:

Now that I read Alacowman's comments, I see what he sees. But those cell phones actually do distort. My guess, is he will grow into a decent bull. If he has a good pedigree, I think you will be well served.

He has the names in his pedigree and numbers seem adverage. He's a good young bull, IMO

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
Lazy M said:

He has the names in his pedigree and numbers seem adverage. He's a good young bull, IMO

His pedigree is absolutely loaded!

Latest posts