Bull Losing Hair

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
My Brahman bull seems like he is losing a little bit of hair near his butt. Its not like big patches or anything, but it definatly looks odd. I have been told that around the age of maturity, their hair will shorten to what the normal brahman bull will look like (he has always had fairly long hair compared to other brahmans), and he is just 18 months old. The hair is getting shorter at the front part of his body (under the hump), but it looks different in the back. I may just be worryed over nothing, like I have been several times before, but its something that is different than what I see every day. Any ideas?

Also, before I get worryed over other stuff, is there any other changes I will see as he hits that maturity stage?

well spring has pretty much sprung here (so nature thinks). animals shed winter coats. i'm sure its nothing to worry about unless he is scratching.

Be sure he's properly wormed. Lice are notorious for causing cattle to lose hair in the winter.

There was a previous post regarding "rain rot" that might fit the bill. If you're area is anything like ours, we've had enough rain this winter to make everything "rot"!

Brahmans are prone to it.. in fact most of mine have a fine case of it. It's small scabby spots that come off like scabs. (yuck... that was gross) Anyway, with some sunshine and warmer temps, it should disappear.

Latest posts