Bull limping

Help Support CattleToday:

TJ

Reaction score
I have a 4 year old angus bull that's favoring front hoof limping badly. He did walk 1/4 mile to other pasture. No swelling, looking for idea's, no way to get him in a chute.

What kind of pasture is he on? Is it clean or does it have debris in it? Could be a lot of things - beginning stages of foot rot, rock bruise, nail or something lodged in foot, etc. Any way you could get a couple of wranglers with good horses to rope him, and stretch him out to look at the foot? Just my thoughts.

It's a fairly clean pasture some rocks and brush, mainly bluegrass, also do I need a vet to look at it.

How long has he been limping? Is the water tank in the pasture or is your set-up such that they come into the corral to drink? If in the pasture are there weeds around the tank and does the tank overflow?

He's been limping 2 days, he drinks out of the creek, a few weeds but mostly grren grass

If he were mine, I would try to find a way of putting him in a chute to see what was going on. If that was not possible, I would call the vet. If he has stepped on something that caused an injury between his toes, the water and mud in the creek could very easily introduce bacteria and start a case of foot rot. When it comes to the investment of a bull, better safe than sorry. Just my thoughts.

We use long-acting sulfa boluses (the number depends on the weight of the animal) in conjunction with a good dose of penicillin. Others on here use LA200. If you do a search for 'foot rot' you will probably come up with a lot of information.

TJ,

I agree with msscamp. Once your bull gets foot rot, he will go through an infertile stage. Not exactly what you want in a bull. I would call in a vet. The normal treatment for footrot is a course of antibiotics.

If you must do the doctoring yourself, I would say find a way to constrain him, give him a strong dose of LA200, or similar, and keep him in a small pen if available. If he doesn't start improving in 3 to 4 days, you will definitely need professional help. But, I would skip it and go to the vet. While the vet looks at him, you might want to ask him if he needs a semen test and when. You would hate to lose a calf crop to this...

I just called my vet, he's bringing his chute out in the afternoon, thinks it's an object, not many cases of foot rot that he has seen.

A foreign body has been known to lead to foot rot if not treated. FWIW, I think you made the right decision. Good luck with your bull! :)

TJ,

Just looked at "the book" on cattle and it says that foot rot can be caused by any cut or scrape that can then lead to the infection.

It may cost you more with the vet, but you won't have to worry about it. Good Luck.

TJ, how is your bull? We have a Brangus bull that had a 16 penny nail in his hoof. We didn't know what it was until we took him to the vet. He went through a couple of rounds of antibotics until the swelling went down and he limped for about two months but he's doing great now.
Keep us posted.

The best prevention Ive found for foot rot is to mix a 2lb bag of organic iodine in with 100lbs of your mineral. You will hardly ever see anymore foot rot problems. Its about $3 a bag. Most feed stores carry it. Keep it out year around. I know this dosent help you now but might in the future.

The Vet looked at him, no foot rot, no object in hoof he thought
it might be poss. sprain, not limping like he did before just keep an eye on him.

J&T Farm":38rcnplg said:
The best prevention Ive found for foot rot is to mix a 2lb bag of organic iodine in with 100lbs of your mineral. You will hardly ever see anymore foot rot problems. Its about $3 a bag. Most feed stores carry it. Keep it out year around. I know this dosent help you now but might in the future.

Everyone in this area uses iodine in this rainforest foot rot is unheard of.

Our vet gave our bull a shot a Micotil last year after he was limping around for a few days. knocked hiw out and looked at his hooves for any objects or cuts because there was no swelling. Weather the Micotil worked or he healled on his own i do not know but he healed up

Campground Cattle":2cuknv9j said:
J&T Farm":2cuknv9j said:

Everyone in this area uses iodine in this rainforest foot rot is unheard of.

Folks around here are just now getting in the habit of it.

Latest posts