Bull Leasing

Help Support CattleToday:

Just Curious

Reaction score
In the event that you are a Bull Lessor or Lessee... What protocol do you think should be followed to protect each herd??? Please be specific... I.e. If the bulls/cows should be vaccinated.. With what and when???
In my case, we have never done anything out of the ordianry... I pick up the bull from the owner, off-load it at my place, load it back up after 60 days, and off-load it back into the pasture at its owner's place...
I am not saying that this is the correct way of doing business.. I am just saying that this is the way we do it... And if there's a safer way, I would like to know about it... TIA

Just Curious":3lcg3sbx said:
In the event that you are a Bull Lessor or Lessee... What protocol do you think should be followed to protect each herd??? Please be specific... I.e. If the bulls/cows should be vaccinated.. With what and when???
In my case, we have never done anything out of the ordianry... I pick up the bull from the owner, off-load it at my place, load it back up after 60 days, and off-load it back into the pasture at its owner's place...
I am not saying that this is the correct way of doing business.. I am just saying that this is the way we do it... And if there's a safer way, I would like to know about it... TIA

Give a 4 way, I use Bovi- Shield Gold 5 FP VL5 30 days pre bredding. Next I use Spirovac, and give a 7 way to my cows. Worm at this time also. Repeat the 4 way and Spirovac at weaning. If you do not know the cows history give boosters to all of these 4 weeks later. The next year I repeat. My bulls get the same thing simply because I am not going to buy a different antigen and it does not hurt. I gave my bulls an extra vibrio shot this year because they went roaming. I would not lease a bull but I would use this same protocal. When the bulls arived I might insist on a quarantine. Give them their vacinations and boosters. I would say if you are the leaser to buy some type of insurance. In any case have a contract that states price, vacinations, delivery and pickup. Consider AIing your cows. It really can pay in a commercial herd. And some bulls semen can be purchased at a fraction of the price if used commercially. I think it was Galloway Angus that bought GAR Prominent are selling comercial semen for 10 dollars. I saw this one time in the AJ and do not know if they are still doing it.

Latest posts