Bull Leasing Outfits in/near Middle TN?

Help Support CattleToday:

Triple G01

Reaction score
I have a couple of heifers that are nearing breeding age/size. Anyone have contact info or referrals for bull lease operations in or near middle TN (Lawrence County)?

Prefer black angus but would consider alternatives with respect to calving ease.

The heifers are commercial. 1 black, 1 bwf.

Any suggestions or info appreciated,
Triple G01

Contact TTU out of Cookeville, TN

Triple G01":h99h943i said:
I have a couple of heifers that are nearing breeding age/size. Anyone have contact info or referrals for bull lease operations in or near middle TN (Lawrence County)?

Prefer black angus but would consider alternatives with respect to calving ease.

The heifers are commercial. 1 black, 1 bwf.

Any suggestions or info appreciated,
Triple G01

I suggest AI for only two heifers. One of the best AI techs in the business is Patricia McDougal who works out of western Giles Co. this should be close to you.

I'll second that recommendation.
Patricia was one of my clients when I was in veterinary practice in Giles Co, back in the late 80s - and she bred cows for me then - I just retired the last one of those cows this past spring - 18 years after she put in the semen.
She's good - the guys at Robert Elliott & Sons Angus, south of me in Adams TN, use her when they're doing their main AI breeding, and they rave about how quick she is, and how high a conception rate they get from her service.

AI. I hope bull renting becomes an increasingly discouraged practice. There are simply too many health risks. Keep in mind, if you can buy a reasonable yearling bull from a reputable source for $1200 - sell the mature bull (1800 lbs @ $0.50) for $900 at the sale barn - you've only invested $300 in those two calves. You'd also stand to sell that bull for more than you paid for him as a 2 year old when his demand will pick up. You should put that up against the cost of the semen, certificates, technician, chemicals for cycling, etc.

I am in W. Ky. and, although it may be a bit far for you, I thought I would offer this as a possibility. I have used a bull from a local vet for the last couple of years who leases out quality Charlois (sp?) and Angus bulls. I am currently using a son of Mytty in Focus and he looks great, good numbers and is well-mannered. Anyways, if interested PM me and I will get his contact info and forward to you.

angus9259":3ev2gzfs said:
AI. I hope bull renting becomes an increasingly discouraged practice. There are simply too many health risks. Keep in mind, if you can buy a reasonable yearling bull from a reputable source for $1200 - sell the mature bull (1800 lbs @ $0.50) for $900 at the sale barn - you've only invested $300 in those two calves. You'd also stand to sell that bull for more than you paid for him as a 2 year old when his demand will pick up. You should put that up against the cost of the semen, certificates, technician, chemicals for cycling, etc.
I have to respectfully disagree with you.
Even if you were to sell the bull later for the same $1200 you paid, you've still invested $1200, plus the cost of maintaining a bull over the winter and builiding fence that's going to keep him in for those months he's bored and restless because he's (hopefully) covered everybody. Then if the sucker turns up lame or dead or sterile, that's your loss to eat, figuratively speaking. And you can likewise put that up against the cost of semen, certificates, technician, chemicals, etc.
The promise of a greater eventual return is a factor in how much one should be willing to invest, but that aniticpated return does not change the amount of initial investment needed or the risks associated with that investment.

Patricia's good for A.I. If you're looking for a bull I would contact Calvin Bryant. He's the agriculture agent and extension director in Lawrence County. He should have names of people who have bulls. Also if this is part of the cost share program, you should let him know. To be eligible for reimbursement, the bull have to have EPD's in the top whatever percent for that specific breed.

Just noticed you only had two heifers. If that's all you've got, then you wouldn't be eligible for cost chare. For two cows, I would see if I could do a short lease with a neighbor that you trust.

Latest posts