Bull Lease

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
I recently was contacted by a man I sold a reg. Brahman bull to a few years ago. The bull was used in the Wild West Show at Six Flags, and the season is over for him. He asked me if I knew anyone who would be willing to lease the bull until next spring.

I've never leased a bull, or leased one out, so I don't even know who to approach! Would you suggest advertising him in the local paper? Who would carry insurance? Do you lease them by the month or by the cow? :cboy:

TheBullLady":1tkmf5t7 said:
I recently was contacted by a man I sold a reg. Brahman bull to a few years ago. The bull was used in the Wild West Show at Six Flags, and the season is over for him. He asked me if I knew anyone who would be willing to lease the bull until next spring.

I've never leased a bull, or leased one out, so I don't even know who to approach! Would you suggest advertising him in the local paper? Who would carry insurance? Do you lease them by the month or by the cow? :cboy:

First of all, I wouldn't get in the "middle" of a lease agreement. I'd tell him to run an add in the local paper, or the sale barns and leave it up to him as to how the agreement would be worked out. Usually the owners carry the ins. (if they even want too). You can lease by the month, or by head. It depends on how many head the bull is to be used on. You certainly wouldn't want the bull abused...by a bunch of cows... :eek: :D. Lots of cows, more work on the bull, drain on condition, more chance for injury,...more money.

I would advertise in a livestock paper, not necessarily the local paper (some really strange people out there).

TheBullLady":13v2noaj said:

Try Runnigarrow Bill, I know he leases some of his bulls.

I would proabably lease by the amount of time with an agreement up front of how many head the bull will be covering.

Example: 60 day lease minimum for $250 or 90 days for $300, etc., and bull will be running with 20-25 head.

I would also have in the agreement that if the bull comes back in a condition where he can no longer breed (crippled, lame, etc), the person who leased the bull would pay the full price for the bull ($ amount stated up front), and they would be the owner of a new bull.

I dont know, but I would bet the guy cares less about all that stuff than just having someone else to take care of his bull during the off season without having to pay someone.

But then what do I know. :lol:

3M, that's pretty much what the owner has said, but if he was offered for free I would really question who he was going to! I suspect if he offered to lease him for a price, and the "right" person came along he would be incredibly reasonable. Like you said, the most important thing is a good place for him to stay for the season.. and be taken care of. This bull is like one of his kids! :cboy:

We have leased out LH bulls. Only lease out our semen tested non-herd sires (to approved ranches) that we don't plan to use ourselves. Charge $250 a month. When a bull comes back, he is quarantened, de-wormed and weighed. Depending on market conditions and customer interest, a lease-out bull is available to sell as a cross-breeding bull (if no interest, he is a candidate for sale barn or to put in our freezer).

Our "service sires" (we have 4 on-site bulls) are only available for on-site service to "approved" females. We charge $50 per female serviced plus $2.50 a day female boarding. We require current vaccinations, de-worming, and health certificate on females brought here prior to their being unloaded for service. Female usually stays here for 2 heat cycles.

Hope this information helps!