Bull injury???

Help Support CattleToday:

Green Creek

Reaction score
During the usual tussling after they came in from pasture, one of our bulls hurt his ankle. We isolated him in a dry lot and have been giving him a little grain and flakes of alfalfa hay and he seemed to be getting better. Then he started favoring a front foot and now just seems to be tender footed in general. His ankle is still swollen but not as bad as before but we are concerned with the whole picture. He is eating well and generally bright eyed although he doesn't move around much; just gets up to eat and drink. He's too big for the chute and isn't feeling exactly cooperative anyway so we haven't taken a temperature. His nose is wet and shiny so I don't think he is running one. What do you think?

You might have foundered him by "giving him a little grain and flakes of alfalfa hay", especially if that was a radical change in his diet.

Green Creek":2s3rvjd4 said:
MikeC":2s3rvjd4 said:
Not founder in a front foot.

Mike, will you elaborate on this a little bit? Thanks.

Would be unusual for an animal to founder in 1 (one) front foot alone. Should be sore in both at the same time.

Because of the anatomical way that the front feet of cattle aren't connected to the body by use of a "ball and socket joint", cattle show signs of founder first in the rear feet by appearing to walk on their "tiptoes" because of the shock not being absorbed as efficiently as in the front feet.

Take him to a qualified vet with a "Trim" table and have him examined thoroughly.

Or............you could have a vet give him some "Xyla-ject" (put him down temporarily) and examine him.

As long as you don't overfeed him alfalfa and grain, won't hurt him a bit. He would have to eat a LOT to founder.

As long as he can lay down, get up and eats well, he's gonna be OK. Won't get infected, or fever as long as the skin hasn't been broken.

Thanks everyone, this is all reassuring. We have banamine and will try to get some of that in him. He's getting a little cranky with all the attention. I appreciate all the advice.

Have you got any rocks in the area he is staying in, might be a stone bruise that has turned sour. penacillin would be my recommendation followed with aeromycin AS 700 crumbles in his ration.

Sizmic

Green Creek":2rg5hun1 said:
During the usual tussling after they came in from pasture, one of our bulls hurt his ankle. We isolated him in a dry lot and have been giving him a little grain and flakes of alfalfa hay and he seemed to be getting better. Then he started favoring a front foot and now just seems to be tender footed in general. His ankle is still swollen but not as bad as before but we are concerned with the whole picture. He is eating well and generally bright eyed although he doesn't move around much; just gets up to eat and drink. He's too big for the chute and isn't feeling exactly cooperative anyway so we haven't taken a temperature. His nose is wet and shiny so I don't think he is running one. What do you think?
==============

We had several leg injuries when we ran multiple bulls with the herd. We changed that policy. To many injuries. Usually leg and/or foot.

Between mounting they usually scuffle about and use up a lot of energy. We have seen two bulls so tired that neither took care of business.

Now we only leave one good bull at a time with the herd. When breeding season is under way we replace him often with a fresh one waiting in the corral. He doesnt like the move but, tough. Extra work..but, worth it. Just make sure you have good railings around the corrals.

We also believe we have gained a few % points on first time heat settling.

Hope your bull is ok.

Green Creek":393in9nh said:

How about just a simple injury from breeding?

Gail

We pulled them in from the breeding pastures August 30 and put them in holding corrals. They always spend the off season together but one of the younger bulls has turned out to be pretty aggressive. The older bull got the best of him and the fight was over for a day or two and then he got blindsided and hurt his ankle. It wasn't really much of a fight, just bad luck.

Anyway, we did put him on aureomycin (sp?) crumbles Wednesday. There are no stones in his lot and he isn't being fed too much ration so we will just have to wait it out.

Chris H":3e7pda37 said:
now just seems to be tender footed in general.
Guess this popped out at me and made me think he was sore on all his hooves.

Chris,

Probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. He started out injuring his back right ankle, then had a front foot he was favoring and it was hard to tell how many were tender besides the back ankle. He's acting a little better today and has stayed on his feet longer. He even postured at the other bulls so I guess he's getting his attitude back. Separate quarters though! Thanks everyone.

Green Creek":1c1eblg3 said:
Chris H":1c1eblg3 said:
now just seems to be tender footed in general.
Guess this popped out at me and made me think he was sore on all his hooves.

Chris,

Probably wasn't as clear as I could have been. He started out injuring his back right ankle, then had a front foot he was favoring and it was hard to tell how many were tender besides the back ankle. He's acting a little better today and has stayed on his feet longer. He even postured at the other bulls so I guess he's getting his attitude back. Separate quarters though! Thanks everyone.

No, I just didn't read it thoroughly. I caught it quickly and made an association with a bull we had a couple years ago. Bull came up lame on back leg, husband pulled bull, put him in the barn and gave him too much feed, too fast.

Latest posts