Bull injured - salvageable?

Help Support CattleToday:

I believe that the active ingredient in Preparation H is a drug that constricts blood vessels. He will need good blood flow to the damaged area in order to heal.

The vet looked him over today and said that he is not repairable and that he will never breed again. I asked about collecting him and he said that he is too damaged even for that. So............I guess I put him up and feed him for 30 days until the LA200 is out of his system and ship him to the sale for burger. :cry2:

I guess I will start looking at new bulls. Big sale coming up nearby in March (same place this bull came from) so I will put on my big boy pants and go buying.

sorry to hear that hoss,i really afraid the damage had been done.an all that was left was to cull him.

angie said:
I believe that the active ingredient in Preparation H is a drug that constricts blood vessels. He will need good blood flow to the damaged area in order to heal.[/quote] of course,, but with a injury like that, swelling is the problem... the quicker you get the swelling down, the faster you can start healing with less scaring

I'd be inclined to just see what happens... I've had vets tell me a broken bull will never breed again either. 60 days rest and both bulls went back to work just fine.

I agree with milkmaid last year my hereford bull scuffed his up and the vet told me if he wasn't a high dollar bull that I should probably haul him off or pull him off the cows for a few months.The bull wasn't a high dollar bull but since he was young I hated to give up on him so I kept him away from the cows then turned him out last winter.Right now he's taking care of the cows like he's supposed to.

milkmaid":3lzv3nee said:
I'd be inclined to just see what happens... I've had vets tell me a broken bull will never breed again either. 60 days rest and both bulls went back to work just fine.

Well I have at least 30 days to watch him. If he starts extending the penis on his own I might give him longer. He was cut pretty bad. The vet said the cut was about 1/2" deep and 2" long and it ripped through the very end of the penis. When it swelled up it seemed to rip open the end of the penis like squeezing a grape. Pretty nasty. He tried to breed the cow that was in heat as she had dried blood on her tail and around her vulva. I don't know if he got the job done but it looked like it must have been a painfull attempt.

OU, have you preg checked any if those that he supposedly bred yet?
Hoss, sorry to hear it.

All of them calved or will in march except one and she was hauled to the sale barn,he was breeding her every month.I don't know what went wrong with that cow she had a young heifer calf on her when I bought her from my uncle.

Ou, so your injured bull healed up and was getting the job done. Thx. Thats what i was getting at

Hoss, so very sorry to read about your bull. Terrible injury. I just don't know what else to say. Perhaps he'll surprise everyone in 30 days...I sure hope so!

Really sorry to hear that Hoss. I'm sick for you. I know he said it wasn't repairable, but did he say if there was anything you could do for the 30 days while you wait that might help him? If he doesn't heal up, I hope you can find you a dandy replacement at that sale that will pick up where he left off with his calves.

hooknline":3vo0o9p8 said:
Ou, so your injured bull healed up and was getting the job done. Thx. Thats what i was getting at

I knew why you were asking.
When that one cow was coming in each month and a friend knew about my hereford bull being messed up he kept telling me I better get that bull tested but all of my other cows ended up being bred.
Now my brangus bull that had tore his up and looked close to hoss's bull in the picture after he healed up I had him tested and he tested good.

Latest posts