Bull injured - salvageable?

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
My bull, who jumped the fence the other day, has injured his penis during the leap. He evidently cut it on the barb wire. I didn't see it because he had his penis retracted when I looked at him. Today he was moving slow and his sheath was swollen. My neighbor and I got him up and I hit him with a dose of LA200 to help combat infection and flushed his penis with the water hose and cold water. I also prayed the cut with iodine spray. It looks like a 1.5" split on the end of the penis. I took some pics with my phone when I had him up prior to the flushing and iodine. It was dark so the pics are not the best. I called the vet and he is coming out on Wednesday but he didn't seem too optimistic. Anybody have any experience with this and what do you make of his chances of recovery?
IMG00499-20120109-1810.jpg

IMG00501-20120109-1810.jpg

IMG00502-20120109-1811.jpg

Man o Man Hoss that's a bad one. He for sure ain't gonna use it for a long time. Looks like a salvage deal to me. I am sorry I know you really like that bull.

I am sick. I thought he had potential and if his calves turned out like I hope I was going to have him collected. The vet will give me the final verdict on Wednesday. I guess crap happens. I may be in the market for a new bull soon. It just kills me to see an exceptional 2 yr old go to slaughter. I am really, really depressed. Thanks for the sentiments 3way.

HOSS":mypk7sfl said:
I am sick. I thought he had potential and if his calves turned out like I hope I was going to have him collected. The vet will give me the final verdict on Wednesday. I guess crap happens. I may be in the market for a new bull soon. It just kills me to see an exceptional 2 yr old go to slaughter. I am really, really depressed. Thanks for the sentiments 3way.

You may still be able to have him collected. See if the vet thinks he could heal enuf to at least do that!

I do not know what to say or even how to begin to say how sorry I am to hear this . That just is a really really shytty deal Hoss. I think the main thing is that it is not broken right, just cut ?? SO he should heal given time and tlc . I agree with 3way about your bull maybe still being collectible in this case.

Sorry Hoss, will keep my fingers crossed for him and you . :(

Let us know what the vet says when he gets to have a good look at him. I would give him some anti inflams as well until the vet has a look to help with the swelling .

Maybe it is better if they tear a fence down rather than sail over it .. :???:

I had a brangus bull that tore his up and was swollen like that the vet cleaned him up then inserted a tube and taped it up,I can't remember what shots he gave him.I penned him up in the barn and away from the cows until he healed up.The bull did heal up fine and later passed a semen test and was able to breed cows.
I wouldn't give up on your bull yet.

Had a bull do that, but he fell over the fence with his penis so it cut the shaft, not the tip. 3 months of healing with a daily dousing of iodine, but he went on to breed for several years.

My worry with yours is that it is the tip of the penis. When it starts to scar, it might close up completely and you'll have a dead bull.

Even though your first thought was antibiotics, I think you should have sent him to slaughter.

I don't know from those photos, but what I think you are looking at is the inside of the prepuce swollen and protruding. I don't think you should give up hope until the vet gets his lipstick out and has a good look at, he may have had it tucked back inside when he went over.
Best of luck
Ken

My computer at work won't allow me to see many pictures on here, so forgive me if I am asking dumb questions on this Hoss.
Is just the prepuce swollen, or is it his penis too? If it is just the prepuce, I may have a useful solution to you (may or may not work). Our vet had us put sugar on the prepuce to help pull the moisture out to help be able to "massage" the prepuce along with the cool water. It worked on our bull for a while, but never got completely healed. Vet also said we could take him and get a circumcision, but that is very costly and still no guarantee that he would be able to breed again.

Good luck. Try what you can.

My wife, a vet (albeit SA), just looked at your pictures and totally agrees with Ken. Says penis may not be damaged, so don't give up hope. She says have vet look at it and suggests a series of therapy laser treatments to speed healing. Craig

man thats a hard hitt to take but it always happens to the bulls an cows you have high hopes for.you already loaded him full of dope.so you have to wait 30 days from the last shot to ship him.so id throw the dice an see if he might heal up an pass a semen test.but my gut says ship him when the meds run out.

greatgerts":f0rsffdy said:
My computer at work won't allow me to see many pictures on here, so forgive me if I am asking dumb questions on this Hoss.
Is just the prepuce swollen, or is it his penis too? If it is just the prepuce, I may have a useful solution to you (may or may not work). Our vet had us put sugar on the prepuce to help pull the moisture out to help be able to "massage" the prepuce along with the cool water. It worked on our bull for a while, but never got completely healed. Vet also said we could take him and get a circumcision, but that is very costly and still no guarantee that he would be able to breed again.

Good luck. Try what you can.

You mean I shouldn't use salt????? :mrgreen: :shock: Just kiddin! Heck at this point I am willing to try anything if he can be saved. I have been flushing with cold water.

cowmilker":3pkpq7sk said:
My wife, a vet (albeit SA), just looked at your pictures and totally agrees with Ken. Says penis may not be damaged, so don't give up hope. She says have vet look at it and suggests a series of therapy laser treatments to speed healing. Craig

I am hoping the vet has some tricks up his sleeve. I am not resigned to hamburger'ing him out yet. I am willing to spend a few bucks if he has a decent chance of pulling through in working condition. I don't need him until June so maybe there is time. If he needs longer I will just A.I. everything and borrow the Balancer that I sold to my neighbor for clean up duty.

bigbull338":3vambmmn said:
man thats a hard hitt to take but it always happens to the bulls an cows you have high hopes for.you already loaded him full of dope.so you have to wait 30 days from the last shot to ship him.so id throw the dice an see if he might heal up an pass a semen test.but my gut says ship him when the meds run out.

Yep. I think it is worth having to wait 30 days. I threw the meds at him to get a jump on infections and such just in case he is repairable.

If he dosen't recover shoot me a PM i have a good replacement for him. I think you will like the breeding, but i hope he recovers for you. You have had pretty good luck with him.

I'm kind of like 3waycross... I think you could likely collect him but I wouldn't trust him to breed natural service without some backup until he proves he can get it done. At least if you collect him they can tell if it's good stuff or not before you put it in the cow.
I think I'd also switch to something like exonel on the antibiotics. It'll do just as good or better at keeping things clean and there's no withdrawl so if he turns for the worse you can still ship him once you get past the LA200 withdrawl.

Latest posts