Bull in pain

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a similar situation with a 1 1/2 year old bull. He was lethargic, didn't eat much, coughed. I had the vet out and he checked temp and a few test, then put a magnet down his throat. He couldn't come to a determination, but said he may have ingested some wire. He'd be fine in two weeks or dead, he said. The animal never got better and didn't appear to get worse, then one day he was dead.

I discovered he had eaten some hay that had a piece of rope in it. It was the cause of his coughing and eventual death.

I suppose I've got the best arrangement ... vet lives 1/2 mile down the road, the clinic is less than 2 miles away. Definitely spoiled. FYI, last time I got nana one from them, pretty sure it was a pour on ...

Yes it does. Have often wondered about that. But the farmers and vets don't make the rules/laws, just expected to comply with them. :)
Jumping in late because I missed this conversation earlier. When Banamine was first released for cattle, it was labeled for IM or IV administration. They ended up with too many cases of clostridial myositis (blackleg) at the IM injection sites, and had to change the label or pull the product from the market. SQ is safer than IM (as you see with Resflor), but if they put that on the label they would have to significantly extend the withholding times to account for slower absorption. That's a big negative when trying to sell product to dairy producers in particular.

Florfenicol already has a long withhold and isn't allowed for use in dairy cows, so there was no issue with making Resflor a SQ product with long withhold times.

So, yes, the rules/laws are a little bit odd, but they do at least have some reasoning behind them in this case.

Not really a contradiction.
Slaughter withdrawal for a dose of Resflor (at proper dosage & route) is 38 days.
ONE dose of flunixin(Banamine) given IV has a 4 day slaughter/36 hr milk withdrawal.
It is not approved for IM administration - the route that many 'producers' administer it - so no 'approved' slaughter withdrawal time... but if you gave ONE dose IM, FARAD recommends at least a 30 day slaughter withdrawal. More than one dose... who knows, and you're on your own.

Flunixin is one of, if not the most common, offender for residues in slaughter animals... and to a large degree, due to use in cull (mostly dairy) cows going to slaughter.

Flunixin/banamine is not water... but I've seen myriad recommendations for its use on this and other boards by participants who treat it as though it's as innocuous as saline.
Have I given Banamine IM?... absolutely, but I'm also aware that it does cause muscle tissue damage, and that tissue residues are a concern.

Latest posts