Bull in pain

Help Support CattleToday:

Craig Miller

Reaction score
I have a young jersey bull I just bought this past week. I was going to move him into the barn last night but he wouldn't take more than a few steps. He was holding his head low and grinding his teeth. He has labored breathing and runny nose. I put a rope halter on him to try and get him going and he just laid down. He did get back up and is still standing in the same place this morning in the same condition. He has not been given any feed, just hay and water. The hay is average quality. Not great or bad. He doesn't appear to be bloated. There is a cow and heifer in with him that appear to be fine. I have not yet found a vet that will come to me and theres no chance of getting the trailer off the hill to him. I know you'll all be guessing here, but what ideas do you have?

Grinding his teeth is a sign of pain. And you said he has labored breathing, a droopy head and a runny nose. My first guess would be pneumonia. Take his temp - 101.5 is normal. If he does have a temp, you need something specifically for respiratory like Resflor Gold, Nuflor, Draxxin, Baytril, etc. And you will need a RX if you don't have any on hand. If a vet won't come to you, make the drive. I would also suggest Banamine (or Banamine Transdermal) as a fever reducer and for pain.

Pneumonia or something similar from shipping fever maybe? How old is he? Are you able to take his temperature?

He is a little over a year. His temp is 103.3. He has been separated from the other cows since last night but it's probably too late. We will see. Maybe one if my neighbors has some drugs for it on hand.

He is a little over a year. His temp is 103.3. He has been separated from the other cows since last night but it's probably too late. We will see. Maybe one if my neighbors has some drugs for it on hand.
Maybe not; they're pretty resilient. I had a bull that just wasn't acting right one night so I brought him down to the barn. Temp was 102.5 but shot up to 105.3 by the next morning. A hefty dose of Draxxin & Banamine with some TLC and he completely recovered, let him rejoin the herd 6 days later.

Hope you're able to get some meds. In the meantime, you might try some aspirin.

The larger the animal the better chance to survive, but can affect their lungs. Draxin plus Banamine to reduce the fever. Another shot of Banamine in 6 hours to help get the lungs clear as said above.

So it looks like he will be ok. None of the neighbors had any meds on hand. It was monday afternoon before the vet gave me some Resflor. I did get some oral bcomplex and la200 in him Sunday and monday. I know the la 200 is not listed for pneumonia but it's all I had and I thought it might keep him from a secondary infection. He did not eat or drink from Saturday night until Wednesday morning. The vet would not give me bannimine. She did give me an injectable b complex.

Wow I guess I didn't realize how spoiled we are in my area. Besides having the big three implement dealerships we have two large animal clinics in the county. The one I use would've been out ASAP with a problem like that and I've heard the other clinic is just as good.

Vet wouldn't give you Banamine?? Wow. But sure glad he's doing okay.

Agree, @BFE. My vet clinic is all of 20 minutes away. The owner rarely makes farm calls anymore (he's getting older) but his associate is awesome, originally from here & came back after graduating vet school AND also has cattle. Love him. Bonus - they just hired another large animal vet, also originally from here and has a great personal & working relationship with the entire staff. I've made emergency calls in the middle of the night, after hours, weekends and they're here in record time. Only $30 for a trip charge. Color me lucky!!

Several years ago, the FDA started warning veterinarians and users about the incorrect administration of banamine (flunixin meglumine) in cattle. It is only approved (and legal) for IV use in cattle, not IM or SQ. Some vets are hesitant to prescribe banamine for the owner to administer since most are not going the IV route. There is now a transdermal (pour-on) version that is a different option.

Slaughter cattle are tested for drug residue. The FDA investigates. Here is an example of a warning letter they send out. No one would want to get one of these letters.

Wow I guess I didn't realize how spoiled we are in my area. Besides having the big three implement dealerships we have two large animal clinics in the county. The one I use would've been out ASAP with a problem like that and I've heard the other clinic is just as good.
We aren't exactly over run with large animal vets. I just moved to my farm this last year and am still looking for the best vet to use. I was only able to get in with this one because my last vet recommended me to them personally. I had the them take my dogs to them to get established.

Vet wouldn't give you Banamine?? Wow. But sure glad he's doing okay.

Agree, @BFE. My vet clinic is all of 20 minutes away. The owner rarely makes farm calls anymore (he's getting older) but his associate is awesome, originally from here & came back after graduating vet school AND also has cattle. Love him. Bonus - they just hired another large animal vet, also originally from here and has a great personal & working relationship with the entire staff. I've made emergency calls in the middle of the night, after hours, weekends and they're here in record time. Only $30 for a trip charge. Color me lucky!!
The vet I used before at my old farm was cheap cheap. She has stopped doing large animal already after only a few years. I think she only made farm calls for me because I was one of her first customers. The first time she made a farm call for me she was about 9 months pregnant lol.

Several years ago, the FDA started warning veterinarians and users about the incorrect administration of banamine (flunixin meglumine) in cattle. It is only approved (and legal) for IV use in cattle, not IM or SQ. Some vets are hesitant to prescribe banamine for the owner to administer since most are not going the IV route. There is now a transdermal (pour-on) version that is a different option.

Slaughter cattle are tested for drug residue. The FDA investigates. Here is an example of a warning letter they send out. No one would want to get one of these letters.

That explains a lot. I should say she never said she would not give me bannimine but only ignored the question more than once. What surprised me is that the auction barn is being held responsible in the letter.

Last edited:
A little more information. There are provisions for extra label use of drugs by vets - use beyond what is on the label. However this is only for therapeutic reasons, not for convenience. To use banamine IM is an issue only of convenience. The case can't be made that it is given IM instead of IV for therapeutic reasons since the label is for IV use which provides the therapeutic results - just not as convenient. That makes the IM use illegal, even for administration by a vet.

Here is an explanation cut and pasted from JAVMA - the Journal of American Veterinary Medical Association.

1612573120927.png

Isn't Resflor available for use in the US?

Latest posts