Bull in or out?

Help Support CattleToday:

groveman14

Reaction score
I have only a small herd of brangus cows which are bred, delivering in Dec. Feb. I have ordered a blank angus bull, which is two years old to put in with them. I have heard that you should leave him in with them after they are settled and also heard you should not. If I take him out( I do have other pasture) he'll be alone. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Thanx to all who reply.

he ain't gunna hurt a thing being with bred cows and then you don't to worry about him seperately. The only reason you'd need to pull him off is if you want a set breeding season. If you dont' care when you get calves then you can leave him in year round and just not worry about it.

Well without good fences it might be hard to keep him up. That has all just recently been discussed on another post, but while were at, what would be the best feed to just maintain a pair of bulls during the offseason?

J&T Farm":nnz4zcli said:
Well without good fences it might be hard to keep him up. That has all just recently been discussed on another post, but while were at, what would be the best feed to just maintain a pair of bulls during the offseason?

Ideally your bulls should be able to maintain themselves on the same feed as your cows throughout the entire the year. If you keeping them in the lot make sure to have the best quality hay you can there for them and after you pull them off the cows it's not a bad idea to push some supplement in front of them to help them build up again. But the bulls shouldn't need anything extra.

J&T Farm":i8s350lb said:

I sometimes get bulls back in shape by feeding a 9-10% ration with cottonseed hulls, corn and oats. Best thing going is good grazing though. No chance of that this time of year here.