Bull I bought yesterday

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Here's the numbers on my new bull. Looks like he's quite unexceptional. Oh well...
1610722014959.png

I am not an EPD fan but he doesn't look bad. The one trait I do pay attention to is milk. It seems that once they get over 20 you had better feed a lot better to keep them in condition. Hard keepers don't stay here long.

I am not an EPD fan but he doesn't look bad. The one trait I do pay attention to is milk. It seems that once they get over 20 you had better feed a lot better to keep them in condition. Hard keepers don't stay here long.
Yes, his milk was one of the lowest at the sale. Frame is an issue too. I really don't want to add too much frame. There were a lot of buyers trying to add frame and milk but I can't make that work on grass.

https://herdbook.org//simmapp/template/animalSearch,AnimalSearch.vm and enter registration number 3698189.
If you look at the simmental database, you will see the latest EPD's, accuracies, rank compared to other Simangus and expected possible change in the EPD's. Dam has had 4 calves recorded.
Sire is PB simmental. Dam is angus. But the maternal granddam is not listed. That means that the dam is listed with the known angus sire but an unknown angus dam (granddam of the new bull). This means that the EPD contribution of the maternal granddam is unknown since she has no EPD's in the simmental database. In that case the database uses the angus breed average EPD's for this maternal granddam in the calculations of EPD's for this bull. The breeder of this bull may know the pedigree of this granddam, but it is not listed in the simmental database since it would require an expense to record the animal with the simmental association. All of this to say that 1/4 of the EPD value for this new bull is based on a breed average for this missing part of the pedigree.
If you look at milk EPD, the current simmental EPD is 27.5 with an accuracy of 10% with a possible change of +/- 10.71. In other words, due to the amount of data for this young animal, the milk EPD at this time is expected to be 10% accurate and is expected to be 27.5 plus or minus 10.71 when enough data on progeny is available to get to a higher accuracy. So, forecast final milk EPD is between 16.79 (low milk for a simangus)and 38.21 (very high milk for a simangus). Based on the current 27.5 milk EPD, the bull would be in the top 15% of the recorded simangus (expected to produce daughters with high milk).
Individual performance is certainly adequate, frame is acceptable, foot scores are good. Generally breed average or better for growth and maternal EPD's. Sire pedigree would be considered as good. If he looks good and his dam looks good, he should do good for you.

I went to that sale. We run angus so I don't know their epd system. I thought the simangus overall were good phenotypically. Prices were up considerably on the angus side.

I wanted to go to that sell, but ended up hauling tobacco as usaual. What were some prices?Bulls looked good online

Watched the sale online, don't remember what he looked like but his numbers look pretty balanced all around. Probably be a good bull.
I marked about 20 bulls on the catalog as 1 - Really like and 2 - Not that great but would work if I can't get what I want. The bull I actually bought didn't make the list. I really wanted one of those Hoover Dam bulls.

Latest posts