Bull horns flaking badly in the rain.

Help Support CattleToday:

Classyusa

Reaction score
I am raising a few longhorns in NW Oregon. We had a lot of rain the last few weeks and my young bull's horns started flaking.

A week or so later , after rubbing them on fir trees and sparring with steers at feed time, large sections have peeled off.

I dont know much about the anatomy of the horn. I am concerned because his horn has peeled all of the rough outer surface off in places down to a shiny surface. I am worried it has peeled down to bone.

I have heard of rubbing grease on the horn to prevent flaking but this is well beyond that.

Will this lead to a major health problem with the animal?

Based off of the description, I wouldn't be concerned. It sounds like his horns are growing, and flaking off the outer layers as they get bigger, which is normal from the horned cattle I've had in the past. Kinda like how a snake sheds its skin as they grow.

Nice looking bull. Like his markings and coloration. I don't have experience with Longhorns, but looks like what I've seen on my horned ones before.

Thanks. I picked him to be my bull when he was a calf based on his coloring and because he is very calm. He likes to walk up to people and just hangout with them.

Then I later found out coloring on LHs is a crapshoot when they breed. I hope his demeanor will be passed on to his offspring though. He is a smart and friendly animal.

We brought a bull up a longhorn bull from our other property a couple months ago for breeding. He was born about 2 years ago, the same time as one of my cows on the other farm. They were together for the first 6 months. They seem to be like old pals, more so than the others. I am so pleased he has this calm demeanor about ......everything! I rotate them around the property with poly and step in posts and have not had to worry about any problems. Gotta love a good animal.......

No worries about the flakes, just a growing boy. This is the only pic I have of him recently. His childhood friend (RWF) behind him. The calf is her little brother.

Attachments

• received_742444713280631.jpeg
    received_742444713280631.jpeg
    426.9 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts