bull hoof abscess

Help Support CattleToday:

nacona

Reaction score
I have a bull with an abscess on the back hoof it is on the back of the heal half way between the coronet band and the bottom of the hoof. The vet cut it away and then pulled out two small bones or pieces of bone. We are cleaning it every three days with calendula water(herbal) putting on an antibiotic ointment when dry and then tapeing it to keep it clean. He is on antibiotic injections 20ml each day. He is being fed dry grass hay and 2 sheefs of lucern hay each day. He also has molasses once a day with added calcium, devil root(herbal) powder for inflammation. The swelling had gone down within 2 days but now after a week it has swollen again. So gave a one off antiflamitary injection. He has lost at least half his body weight. He is a very important stud bull and semen export bull. Can anybody suggest anything else we can do for him, I do realise we are in for a very long recovery time for him. Apart from being so important to us I love the rotten sod.

May hard to apply to a bull, but you might get him in a head catcher and do the following; mix some Epsom salt in warm water. I'm talking so much salt, it won't all dissolve. Cut a beech ball, and pour it in it. Slip it over his foot, and up his leg. Then vet wrap the crap out of it to keep it up. Leave it on as long as you can. It should draw some to most of the infection out.

I agree with Bigfoot. Sounds like you need the soaks and to keep it open and draining. I always add some Betadine to the Epsom sat water soak. Enough to make it tea color.

If you have trouble with using a beach ball, there are regular soaking pans for horses or just a short rubber tub you can slide under his foot. I take a soft rope around the fetlock to raise the foot. But if you have already been doing dressings, you probably have it down.

Is he still on antibiotics?

branguscowgirl":3cai26j9 said:
I agree with Bigfoot. Sounds like you need the soaks and to keep it open and draining. I always add some Betadine to the Epsom sat water soak. Enough to make it tea color.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Used to do this with hoof abcesses with horses. Worked very well.

Thanks for all the great advice. We have all infection out and are now using a human antiseptic powder on it and sulphur and still wrapping it.
It is on the back heal have changed his antibiotic and plenty of molasses and he actually seems to be putting on weight.

Latest posts