Bull Handling Tips

Help Support CattleToday:

jwhisperj":1z9sz1io said:
I am just curious, I read that a high pitched scream or a gym whistle will interrupt a bull or cow that is charging you. It said that cattle are very sensitive to high pitch noises and my become momentarily confused by the noise. Has anyone heard of this and if not would anyone be willing to give it a shot???? ;-) This could be totally bogus but I think it would be cool if it worked.
jwhisperj

Trust me, if a bull was charging me he would be hearing a high pitched scream. Don;t know if it would do any good but the greasy track he had to run in might slow him down

dun":okbsa3s8 said:
jwhisperj":okbsa3s8 said:
I am just curious, I read that a high pitched scream or a gym whistle will interrupt a bull or cow that is charging you. It said that cattle are very sensitive to high pitch noises and my become momentarily confused by the noise. Has anyone heard of this and if not would anyone be willing to give it a shot???? ;-) This could be totally bogus but I think it would be cool if it worked.
jwhisperj

Trust me, if a bull was charging me he would be hearing a high pitched scream. Don;t know if it would do any good but the greasy track he had to run in might slow him down

:nod:

pdfangus":3ss3fmzx said:
But i don't fear my bulls like yall do.

Who said they feared their bull?

If you fear a bull you shouldn't have one, they sense it and it is game over.

I wouldn't trust any of your disposition selected bulls any more than any other.

Don't mix fear up with good sense and responsible management.

dun":wor8ry48 said:
jwhisperj":wor8ry48 said:
jwhisperj

LOL,..you kill me!!! By the way, how about an instructional video on how you get those bulls into the nitrogen tank???? On second thought...........never mind.

I agree with respecting them and keeping an escape route and a safe distance from them. Mine will come within the radius of my arm's reach coupled with a 5' sorting stick. They have learned this is the comfort zone and their nose will hurt if they come closer.

Two years ago I was raising a young bull that showed some promise. A very short man was helping me one day and I asked him to shut the gate when I saw the bull and some heifers coming to see what we were doing. The man was inexperienced and when he saw the bull he ran. Big mistake. Bull chased him and he just did get to the gate. From that day on, the bull thought humans were something to chase. To break him of that, I walked out in the field with a good length of pipe and let him "attack" me. When he got in range I clubbed him and quickly moved opposite the direction of my swing. A week later I did it again. From that day on he understood who the alpha male was. (Standing my ground to a charging bull is definitely on list of life's scariest events)

Hippie Rancher":1tzeb947 said:
Be careful - I have seen them attack a vehicle. I have seen them go through a horse fence like it was a spiderweb.

I have seen gentle ones push a good wood fence to pieces and wild ones splinter a pen trying to jump out - and yes they CAN JUMP - pretty dang high - and move lightening fast.

And that is not talking about the friendly accident of a slung head or stepped on foot from the "pet" ones.
When I used to feed cull bulls we sometimes would run them on the silage ground in attemps to stop the fighting. Anyway when feeding with the d-17 and the feed wagon had a bull come up stick it's head under front axle and start throwing it around. Interesting feeling it provides while sitting in the seat. Fixed that the next day. Got a bigger tractor. Goofy animals.

Just wanted to say that all these posts were very helpful. Experience, caution and mutual respect seem to be the key. I set up a new pasture for the bull today and moved him in without incident...calm as could be. Just wanted to be close to the girls I think.

My old bull is the friendliest animal I've got. Accoss a fence he constantly tries to lick me. Hubby says he's just trying to warm me up. In the pen he stays away, but likes a scratch from over the fence.

I don't trust any cattle. We tried using a prod on our bull once when moving him through a chute and he just turned and looked at us like...is that all you've got? He went into the trailer when he was darn good and ready. I would not want to give this big boy a chance to run at me.

I'll miss him, he's dominant but laid back with the herd. I have no idea how I will pick my next one.

As for the high pitched scream....yes it can work. Loud and as high as possible. May not keep him from getting you, but does buy you a few nanoseconds to react. One of my kids letting out a good squeal will stop everything in the barn, including mounting and you could hear a pin drop.

I've been doing a lot of reading about cattle behaviour and it has helped my confidence. Get to know the signs before snorting and blowing snot. If any animal looks threatening I face it, and take a step towards it. Turning and running will get you killed. It is amazing how a headstrong steer changes his mind when he realises you aren't afraid of him. I am boss cow...period. (Repeat in your head as necessary) Damn that would make a great webname...COWBOSS! (I'm also exceptionally good at climbing fences fast...just incase! And it doesn't hurt to actually practice this if you are nervous cuz it will build your confidence.) Better a face full of poop than a butt full of bull LOL!

Don't get me wrong bulls can be dangerous. But the most dangerous animal in your pastures or lots is YOU. Also remember that your cows are more likely to take you than your bulls if for no other reason than there are more of them.

Findleyfarms":37qov2ee said:
My old bull is the friendliest animal I've got. Accoss a fence he constantly tries to lick me. Hubby says he's just trying to warm me up. In the pen he stays away, but likes a scratch from over the fence.

I don't trust any cattle. We tried using a prod on our bull once when moving him through a chute and he just turned and looked at us like...is that all you've got? He went into the trailer when he was darn good and ready. I would not want to give this big boy a chance to run at me.

I'll miss him, he's dominant but laid back with the herd. I have no idea how I will pick my next one.

As for the high pitched scream....yes it can work. Loud and as high as possible. May not keep him from getting you, but does buy you a few nanoseconds to react. One of my kids letting out a good squeal will stop everything in the barn, including mounting and you could hear a pin drop.

I've been doing a lot of reading about cattle behaviour and it has helped my confidence. Get to know the signs before snorting and blowing snot. If any animal looks threatening I face it, and take a step towards it. Turning and running will get you killed. It is amazing how a headstrong steer changes his mind when he realises you aren't afraid of him. I am boss cow...period. (Repeat in your head as necessary) be nice that would make a great webname...COWBOSS! (I'm also exceptionally good at climbing fences fast...just incase! And it doesn't hurt to actually practice this if you are nervous cuz it will build your confidence.) Better a face full of poop than a butt full of bull LOL!

Have you ever posted on this board under another name - we are very strict about identities in here! :lol:

Findleyfarms":2z5eywca said:
If any animal looks threatening I face it, and take a step towards it. Turning and running will get you killed. It is amazing how a headstrong steer changes his mind when he realises you aren't afraid of him. I am boss cow...period.
Yeah right. I suppose if the stare down doesn't intimidate him to retreat when he charges you you take the next step in cowboss 101 and you just bulldog him to the ground and then tie three legs together until he sees it your way huh?

Although I am young for a cattleman (just under 40), I have seen my share of some snot throwing bulls. I agree with an earlier post about cows being just as dangerous. My way of handling bulls is:

I walk straight torward a bull, where he knows I am coming at him. All of my bulls will turn and walk away or back up. I will not keep a bull that does not understand that I am the only alpha. Any bull that puts his head down, sways his head back, or otherwise acts ornery I do not need. There are too many good bulls out there to risk being hurt. I want a bull to be gentle in the sense that I can call them and they will come - but will only approach within 15 or 20 feet. It's beneficial to have a bull that you can work without it tearing up your corral and chute. I don't believe in petting bulls; that's what the dog is for. I respect the fact that a bull could kill me, but I am not scared of him. I sometimes carry a lunge whip with me, but use it with the cattle and horses as an extension of the arm - not as a whip. As for hot shots - I don't believe in their use, and it may make a mean bull downright deadly.

I am not encouraging anyone to jump in with an unknown bull and walk directly at him, for obvious reasons. But when I go to check out potential bulls I will press the bull to see how he acts. Even with my own bulls, I will regularly walk torwards them just to reinforce my dominance.

Not saying that it's the perfect method, but it's worked for me. I have been around livestock for the better part of 25 years though, and have learned to "read" cattle decently.

I think the most dangerous bovine is the cow that folks let stick her head in the feed bucket as your walking to the bunk. If you let one do that your asking for trouble when she is on the other side of you and can't reach the bucket. I make sure they all respect my space. They are not allowed to get near me or the bucket till I'm out of the way. If they have a fear of you they are a lot easier to drive em where you want em to go.

Bama":118dm98c said:
I think the most dangerous bovine is the cow that folks let stick her head in the feed bucket as your walking to the bunk. If you let one do that your asking for trouble when she is on the other side of you and can't reach the bucket. I make sure they all respect my space. They are not allowed to get near me or the bucket till I'm out of the way. If they have a fear of you they are a lot easier to drive em where you want em to go.

Old Belle the pet is the most dangerous of all, you are right on. People tend to forget your are dealing with an animal that's stomach is 30 times larger than its brain.
Any cow can get worked up over the least little thing.
I agree with the cow being the most dangerous just due to the speed factor alone. They are all dangerous, pen a bunch of calves they can loose there minds fast.

Caustic Burno":19yw5jss said:
Old Belle the pet is the most dangerous of all, you are right on. People tend to forget your are dealing with an animal that's stomach is 30 times larger than its brain.

I know a couple of people around here that have the same brain to belly ratio.

I am not an advocate of using hotshots on bulls. My experience is it just makes them mad and they will eventually want to get even. This plus you have to get way to close to them and what if you miss?

I will use it on a stubborn cow that blocks up the squeeze lane.

Some people think polled animas are harmless. Wrong. I think they are ten percen less deadly if you treat them like horned cattle but as soon as one feels safe, one is unsafe.
Cull for disposition. Breed for meat milk fertility or whatever, but cull for bad disposition.

We discussed this dozens of times before, and there's really no right or wrong way, just the safest way. If you aren't comfortable being in a pen / pasture with a bull, don't get in there! I think it's ridiculous to carry a "big stick" with you to walk in the pasture.. I won't own anything that's that confrontational. I've never been charged / hurt by a bull, and I've owned many over the years. Some I trusted more than others, but I wouldn't buy one if it wasn't calm and easy to handle. I've had former show bulls, and they've been the best to handle, as they rarely get worked up, and are used to being moved and handled.

If you've spent a lot of time with your cattle, and pay attention to them, you'll find that they can be "read". Most bulls won't pay any attention to you unless they feel threatened.

Latest posts