Bull for long horn cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I'm pulling my angus bull off some longhorns that came with a farm I bought a few years ago, I got some solid blacks out of some a longhorn patterns out of others. I was wondering if a charolias bull would take some of the pattern out of them as well and give some solid colors. I would think their growth would improve with the charolias as well.

Rod, put that charlois with those longhorns. It will take most of the longhorn markings out and will make most of the calves a solid color and add alot of weight at selling time. The calves will sell very well, also.

As I've said before, one of my good friends has a herd of longhorns, and charolais. she breeds all her bottom end longhorns to charolais bulls and gets some great cream colored calves. I think charolais would be a good choice

Ryan

I wish I could be truthful and recommend a Charolais bull for your Longhorns. To my knowledge, I have never talked to anyone who has used that particular cross.

There are very few Longhorns in my area.

Let us know how it works out.

Ditto on the Charolais, a guy I know has about 30 or so longhorn cows with a big Char. bull. He says the cows squirt out those 60 lb. calves like a wet noodle and they grow out well. They will color up like charolais most of the time and at weaning they may not be quite as heavy as a true beef calf but what he loses on the weight he more than makes up for on his costs (upkeep, feed, cows/acre, lost calves, cows that wont breed, etc.).

Latest posts