Bull for Charolais Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

The information from Cotton1 is very acurate about Bluegrass and his sons Ledger and Big Ben. The main thing to remember is that all these bulls sired better buls than they were-as any good herdsire does. The best calving ease son of Ledger is Circle Cee Legend. He has a -5.6 BWT EPD with a +100 yearling wt EPD on the Canadian EPD system. His sons where a hot commodity last spring. He is owned by Horseshoe E in Canada and they do sell semen on him: https://www.facebook.com/horseshoeecharolais/ If it qualifies for export to the US I do not know.
Another bull to look at besides Ledger and his son is Cedardale Zeal a bull that is more of a show bull but calving ease: https://www.facebook.com/horseshoeecharolais/
Another bull to look at is WR Wrangler, a good growth bull that combines two calving ease icons in the Charolais breed Baldridge Fasttrack and Oakdale Duke. He is capable of putting out a competitive showring animal as well.
I look at your heifers pedigree and liked what I saw. Pleasant Dawn Farms is a breeder that is known for calving ease and maternal traits. They are using Ledger and like the results on their cattle. Her sire OCR Magnum is a red factor (The Q in the registration prefix) bull from Oddens and Wells Charolais is showing some of his calves. Note that you heifer has red factor on the bottom side from HEJ influence as well. A good marketable heifer from reputable breeders. do you like red factor enough to breed her to a redfactor calving ease bull?

I'm hoping to get started in Charolais cattle this spring with a few top notch females. Does anyone have male sexed semen available for Char?

The only actively promoted sexed semen actively being promoted in North America is Cedardale Yellowstone from Semex.
Genex did collect EC No Doubt f0r sexed semen but if they have anymore you would have to ask them.
Bovine Elite may one one or two bulls as well. Some full French bulls from Europe may be available as well if you are adventurous.
Not many sexed bulls since little or no demand exists in North America for sexed semen in the commercial world. he Charolais is a terminal breed where the heifers feed as well as a British breed steer. Most quality herdsires on AI also tend to sir good females as well s why bother with sexed semen if it costs more and conception rates are lower?

OzssieDave19":1sqlqc6c said:
i have joined a handfull of Black baldy heifers to my bosses Australian style LBW easy calving Char bull and will get some calves in the next week he assured me it would be fine but its a bit of a worry as the old timers say never put Char on heifers i guess i will see soon.
Please post on how it all works out.
Same breed bull on same breed heifers no big deal. But there is a heterosis kick in birth weights when crossing breeds.