Bull Fight

Help Support CattleToday:

I just bought back a reg. Brahman bull I had sold a man about four years ago. Was going to pick him up this week sometime, after I'd had a chance to move some cows to a new lease place. The owner called today and said to come and get him now. Had to get a friend to go over to get him, so I could sort cows and take them to the lease place.

When the bull got there, he had a huge knot on his head, between his ear and where his horn was, three or four places on his head that the skin was gone, and a huge distorted knee on the front. I was p*ssed that he was in such bad shape. Apparently the reason he wanted him picked up right away was that he had THREE other bulls in the pasture (and we're talking SMALL pasture) that had the Brahman bull run into the corners trying to get away from them. People are SO STUPID! Hopefully with some TLC and some Bute for a couple of days, I can get him straightened out.

The Angus bull has apparently been moved. No sign of him the last two days. The swelling seems to be going down around our bull's eyes, and it doesn't seem to be hindering him from getting some breeding done!

Bulllady, I hope all turns out OK.

greenwillowherefords":30838f7d said:
Frankie":30838f7d said:
In my experience, Angus bulls are very serious about breeding cows and will fight for the opportunity to breed. We had two Angus bulls about the same age on cows together one year. Every time we went to check on the cows, they were tied up in a fight. I was afraid we'd not have a calf crop, but we did have a good one. Generally, an older bull will whip the younger bull and he'll just hang around and take seconds.

Our former longhorn gomer bull will try to get into the pasture with the young Angus bulls when we bring them home from the test station. I think he wants to get his bluff in while they're young. He can usually whip one, even though they outweigh him quite a bit. But last time, we brought five home and they took turns with him. Poor guy, he looked like he'd been rode hard and put up wet. We'll see if he remembers the lesson when we bring more bulls home this fall...

I absolutely agree that Angus bulls are serious about breeding cows, and will fight for the opportunity. I firmly believe that the same statement is true of Herefords. Within their own herd, I've never seen more aggressive breeders than the Hereford bulls I've owned, and I've been around cattle all my life. I do think that Hereford bulls tend to have more of a sense of respect for territorial boundaries,as a rule.

Are you seriously suggesting that your bull knows where your property ends?

I think once a bull of any breed goes through a fence, it can be tough to keep them home. When we have young bulls here at home, we try to make sure they're not on the fenceline with cycling cows and that they're not alone. If we have only one bull, we'll find a bred cow or weaned calves to put in the pasture with him for company. We even run our gomer bull with the cows year round, unless we have some young bulls to keep him company.

Muratic":1wsndu0z said:
You have me confused flowerboy, First you write this:

flaboy":1wsndu0z said:
..If you harm one of my bulls without contacting me (unless your life was in danger), you and I are going to have a problem.

Then you write this:
flaboy":1wsndu0z said:
just a bullet. I won't allow somebody else's bull to injure mine and I would expect no less. If he gets my bull down and continues I will aerate him.

So which is it? :roll:
Well Assidhead, not that I need to explain myself to you, but let me see if I can put this in terms even you can understand.

If my bull gets outs, tell me and I will handle it. Don't take drastic action without contacting me unless my bull is about to do physical harm to you or your stock, do what you have to do to remedy the situation and then contact me. I would do the same. Some folks can handle bull fights and some should not attempt it. If you have seen many bulls fights it is usually apparent which one has the upper hand. If you can separate them or your bull will be ok then call me. If you feel your bull will be harmed then do what you have to do from bird shot to 30 caliber. I keep both Hereford and Angus bulls. I have to keep the Angus separated from the Herefords by at least one field. I also would not have a bull that acted as some of these folks say. Jumping fences and such, been there done that and put wheels under him. Now if I had a real high dollar bull (which I probably wouldn't anyway) I would be hard pressed to turn him into hamburger but if he made me mad enough I would. Maybe a real strong breeding pen and cycle the cows in his pen or a breeding pasture with real good fences for a bull like that. Of course it wouldn't work for large operations but then again you usually don't have problems with those folks.

Folks the bottom line here is if you have bulls and have neighbors who have bulls adjacent to your property you are going to have problems. It may be his bull one time and yours the next. Never say yours would not tear down a fence to get to another bull as that in most cases is absolute bunk. Due diligence is the key. Try to prevent it before it happens. If that means talking to your neighbor and maybe working a plan out to prevent it or electrifying your fence yourself. Do what you can to prevent it up front.

ok folks im sorry that yall dont understand my post i dont use proper grammer or punctation or proper typing skills but hey thats me if you dont like the way i type or say things dont read my cottonpicking post never have i said anything bout yalls typing an nor will i sorry greenwillows for blowing my stack on your post scott

bigbull338":3rcdvrgx said:
ok folks im sorry that yall dont understand my post i dont use proper grammer or punctation or proper typing skills but hey thats me if you dont like the way i type or say things dont read my cottonpicking post never have i said anything bout yalls typing an nor will i sorry greenwillows for blowing my stack on your post scott

Hey big bull don't let these guy's worry you. There are some on here that TRY to show off their intelligence which really just shows how small their balls are and are trying to make up for their miniatures. Some just kids, some are cowboy wanna be's, some real good folk, some trying to learn, some are trying to show us just how great a cattleman they think they are but really just show us how conceited they are.

Hell, I didn't have a problem understanding your bull was in the next pen, jumped the fence to get in the cows and you wondered how. Don't take genius to figure that out.

thanks i guess im just short tempered when ppl start pulling that crapp ive got to remember this most ppl didnt growup in the cattle business scott

bigbull338":jtpvwz3c said:
thanks i guess im just short tempered when ppl start pulling that crapp ive got to remember this most ppl didnt growup in the cattle business scott

I'm not going to beat you up. But if you expect to get your points across and be taken seriously, you need to take time to write in a more readable fashion. Capitals and periods always help. How long someone has been in the cattle business doesn't have anything to do it. And this board will ban you in a heartbeat if you use profanity.

Frankie":39ug2sc5 said:
bigbull338":39ug2sc5 said:

I'm not going to beat you up. But if you expect to get your points across and be taken seriously, you need to take time to write in a more readable fashion. Capitals and periods always help. How long someone has been in the cattle business doesn't have anything to do it. And this board will ban you in a heartbeat if you use profanity.

Come on Frankie "doesn't have anything to do it.". This, and you are telling people to write clearer. Not that it matters but I for one think how long you have been in the cattle business has ALL to do with it!

right im not going to sitt here an cuss ppl or jump on them for the way they type or say things thats being pure childish ive sat here an sen ppl get flogged for what they think an thats just being stupid i thought we was all here b/c we loved the cattle business an wanted to help ppl if we could but guess i was rong scott

bigbull338":2f0kl369 said:

bigbull338":2f0kl369 said:
right im not going to sitt here an cuss ppl or jump on them for the way they type or say things thats being pure childish ive sat here an sen ppl get flogged for what they think an thats just being stupid i thought we was all here b/c we loved the cattle business an wanted to help ppl if we could but guess i was rong scott

ok scott im going to jump in here. now dont take this too hard cause its meant in the right way. but dont take it too lightly either cause there are some here on the boards that actually did grow up around cattle myself included. so dont go climbing on any high horse about all that.

now. use a cotton picking period every now and then.

i hate to say it that rough because i have agreed with several things you said since you came on board. some more than others but thats not the point because theres more than one way to skin a cat in cattle just like everything else. and besides i obviously aint no english teacher myself. but dang its hard to read your posts

ive just about gotten to the point where i skip over your stuff cause it sounds like some stupid rapper punk with his cap on backwards and his britches around the bottom of his but. do yourself some justice and use the dang period key for crying out loud.

you seem to know a little something about the cow business. well if you want your statements to be respected at least take the trouble to make them respectable. if you want to sound like your from east LA then keep up the mumbling and never ending crack head sentences. dang it aint asking much for a few periods.

and if you want to haul off and get your feelings hurt and tell me to skip your posts if i dont like them just go ahead and get hurt but save yourself the trouble of telling me to skip em. cause ill get over it whether you do or not. and ill skip em anyway ifyou dont knock it off

1 thing i dont do is get mad at posts i say what i have to say an i dont blow smoke or put anyone down scott

bigbull338":1le7escu said:
1 thing i dont do is get mad at posts i say what i have to say an i dont blow smoke or put anyone down scott

So what is your point here? You must have the personality of a brick. All he asked you to do was quit talking like a 2 year old.
Must be pretty hard for ya.

flaboy":13nbojex said:
Things to remember, #1 bulls fight, #2 bulls fight, #3 bulls will fight. Now with that said, Angus bulls like to fight. This is the one and only thing I don't like about them. I am fortunate enough to not have neighboring bulls. If your neighbor will be keeping this bull in the pasture next to your you two will have to put up a secondary fence. Three feet or so from the first fence. If they can't touch they very seldom will tear the fence down. I have used one barbed wire fence and one electric fence side by side. I know it is a pain but if you have bulls you WILL have bull fights. It's worse when it is a neighbors bull because of the damaged fences. Talk to your neighbor and maybe you both can share in the solution. Something will have to be done or it will happen again then matters just gets worse between you and neighbor and the bulls. IT's NOT THE BULLS FAULT! It's nature.

Now I have separated a few bulls before and here are the methods I have used (don't try this at home folks). #1 A bada__ dog I had would separate a pair of bulls in less than 20 seconds god rest his sole. He died of old age BTW. #2 I use a 12 foot bull whip the new nylon type so it doesn't rot down here. Usually laying this thing across the as_ one time will get them apart but you can't stop there. You need to continue to put it across his rear until he decides to leave the area. Usually one bull will be the one really mad and that is the one that requires your attention not the other one. If you can get the mad one to leave you should be in good shape. Now some may say I am crazy but I have buried and butchered too many bulls to let them fight. Trucks or tractors usually won't work to separate them. Now, if you elect to try this at home (not recommended as you will be entering the battle field) make sure you know how to use a bull whip. Not just crack it (yeah I'm a cracker) but be able to crack it right on the animal with maximum tip speed on the cracker. That's step one. After you have just placed a nice welt on his rear you should be able to pull it back in the same motion and repeat over and over as necessary. You can't get tangled in it and stop to get started over. You should also be able to do this directly in front of you or to either side without stopping the motion of the whip. I carry one of these in the Jeep, truck, and tractor so I always have it available. BTW, my 81 year old dad can take a cigarette out of my hand with a 12 footer and not touch my hand. If you want to learn, start with an 8 or 9 footer and move up in length from there. The "trainer" whip can be kept in one of you vehicles and does the job also but you have to get closer.:shock:

If you harm one of my bulls without contacting me (unless your life was in danger), you and I are going to have a problem. I know it is a real pain but remember these are ANIMALS and it's our responsibility to keep them in line.

I'll second the above. I primarily own nothing BUT bulls. And some rank ones at that. Even with no cows around sometimes they fight. Whenever I get a new bull, I observe 'em real close for a couple weeks and don't leave the new bull with the herd unless somebody's around. There are "personality" conflicts. I have a Corriente that HATES Brahman, so I keep em seperated as much as practical. If they're penned or pastured together, I keep a watchful eye.

A buddy of mine lost a valuable bull recently due to a fight which wound him up in a drainage canal. Ya gotta figure out the personalities and seperate accordingly. Usually a woven wire fence does the trick, but some bulls are smart enough to realize a fence is merely a suggestion.

To break em up once the fight starts, as Flaboy recommends whippin' will usually work. A couple nice cracks right on the rump will distract em from each other and you'll be the target, so make sure ya got yer runnin' ropers on and someone workin the gate. The longer the whip, the better. Cracked one once right between on the nose with a short whip once - thought I was pretty cool with all my buddies watchin until he went from 0 to 60 in about half a second and gored me till my beakfast pancakes came out my ears. A good lesson in respect for powerful animals ;-) And as an added bonus my ole' man saw the whole thing and chewed my you-know-what for being stupid :oops:

I personally don't recommend turnin the dogs out - unless it's a real nimble pup, you'll likely wind up with a messed up dog. If ya can't get 'em apart with a whip, gotta get the horse and a rope.

As the owner, ya gotta make good on any damage - I recently bought a LOT of watermelon as the result of a "jailbreak". Nope, I don't really like watermelon THAT much ;-)

If somethin' real expensive happens, my philosophy is to turn it over to the insurance folks. EVERY operation should have a farm/ranch liability policy in force. If some serious damage gets done ya can't rectify on yer own, let cool heads prevail and turn it over to your carrier. It ain't worth havin' to move your operation because of bad blood with the neighbors.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

flbullrider":361619z2 said:
I personally don't recommend turnin the dogs out - unless it's a real nimble pup, you'll likely wind up with a messed up dog. If ya can't get 'em apart with a whip, gotta get the horse and a rope.

a good dog can do more than a horse. a nimble pup might get ruined but a good seasoned 25# dog will make a 2500# bull respond the same way a good bumble bee will make you or me respond.

Latest posts