Bull feed info

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogtiming

Reaction score
I have purchased some 10 reg Angus bulls. 212-235 days old. Previous owner passed and they came up for sale. I'll be picking them up next week and taking them off the cow. Question being can a creep them 16 percent feed for 60 days without hurting them? And then after the 60 days I plan on hand feeding them. Any suggestions on hand feeding them 16 percent feed? Reason being 16percent is I buy in bulk for other calves. Any info would be appreciated. I have never raised possible breeding bulls

They can do well on a lot less protein but the other calves may need the 16% if they are much younger and smaller.

After they are weaned if I hand feed 6-8 pounds per day per head is that to much or to hot?

We hand feed our yearling bulls about 1% body weight with a 14 % feed once per day and they look really good. With free choice hay and mineral of course.

midTN_Brangusman":2vuvjvgs said:
We hand feed our yearling bulls about 10 % body weight with a 14 % feed once per day and they look really good. With free choice hay and mineral of course.
10% or 1% of body weight?

RanchMan90":3s71m9fy said:
midTN_Brangusman":3s71m9fy said:
We hand feed our yearling bulls about 10 % body weight with a 14 % feed once per day and they look really good. With free choice hay and mineral of course.
10% or 1% of body weight?

Thank you ranch man 1 %, that would get pretty expensive.

midTN_Brangusman":txshj3ff said:
We hand feed our yearling bulls about 1% body weight with a 14 % feed once per day and they look really good. With free choice hay and mineral of course.

What if there is a protein tub in the mix? Would 1% still be recommended?

ClinchValley":1jsp33vn said:
midTN_Brangusman":1jsp33vn said:

We feed 1% body weight and access to a Crystalyx protein tub. They last me about a month on a group of 15 to 20 bulls @ 100 bucks so price is minimal. They may not need it but its definitely working. Our goal is to give each bull the chance to reach his full potential.

midTN_Brangusman":3rz51h5w said:
ClinchValley":3rz51h5w said:
midTN_Brangusman":3rz51h5w said:

We feed 1% body weight and access to a Crystalyx protein tub. They last me about a month on a group of 15 to 20 bulls @ 100 bucks so price is minimal. They may not need it but its definitely working. Our goal is to give each bull the chance to reach his full potential.

That should be everyone's goal IMO. Have a yearling we just brought in and am trying to grow him out best i can. I was concerned it could be too much protein? Is there such a thing?

pdfangus":1yybsef6 said:
EXCESS PROTEIN WILL DO LITTLE HARM BUT IT IS AN EXPENSIVE WASTE OF RESOURCES....

No doubt about that. Is it wasteful to have a tub out while giving daily feed at the amount we've talked about? That what you meant pdfangus?

Would you say they will eat at the tub whether they need the protein or not?

ClinchValley":cvgbm5hb said:
pdfangus":cvgbm5hb said:
EXCESS PROTEIN WILL DO LITTLE HARM BUT IT IS AN EXPENSIVE WASTE OF RESOURCES....

No doubt about that. Is it wasteful to have a tub out while giving daily feed at the amount we've talked about? That what you meant pdfangus?

Would you say they will eat at the tub whether they need the protein or not?
Cows are just like us. To them eating has little to do with meeting nutritional needs....they eat because they're hungry and like the taste of the feed. Yes they will eat the tub whether they need it or not. Excess protein is harmless if you're feeding a terminal animal but can cause breeding problems in replacement or seed stock cattle, not to mention it is expensive. Protein is certainly needed but cattle gain most of their weight from energy especially excess energy in the ration. Try to feed an energy dense diet and your calves will grow out much faster but also make sure they get adequate roughage.

Hate to beat this topic to death. But…

Would good hay and a protein tub be enough? Or does the grain ration @ 1% need to be in place of the protein tub?

Reason for all the ?'s is I just brought in a 10 month bull to be our guy next year. Have him solo until May or June. The breeder recommended 2.5 gallons of feed a day. To me that sounds like too much. But that is just my uneducated opinion. Did he mean feed him a grain mix only (no hay) at 2.5 gallons per day would y'all think

I have been giving him 1 gallon of 14% grain mix along with all the hay he wants. I threw a protein tub in two days ago. But then got to thinking i could be giving him too much?

I intend to get a year or two out of him.

Sorry to hijack :)

ClinchValley":1kq1y07r said:

Would good hay and a protein tub be enough? Or does the grain ration @ 1% need to be in place of the protein tub?

Reason for all the ?'s is I just brought in a 10 month bull to be our guy next year. Have him solo until May or June. The breeder recommended 2.5 gallons of feed a day. To me that sounds like too much. But that is just my uneducated opinion. Did he mean feed him a grain mix only (no hay) at 2.5 gallons per day would y'all think

I have been giving him 1 gallon of 14% grain mix along with all the hay he wants. I threw a protein tub in two days ago. But then got to thinking i could be giving him too much?

2.5 gallons would be approximately 15 lbs. Sounds about right to me + free choice hay and mineral.

ClinchValley":2664s7oi said:

Clinch you always want cattle to have roughage. If you simply want your new young bull to grow out normally keep giving him the gallon of grain mix you've been giving him plus all the free choice hay he can eat....good hay hopefully. Protein tubs are simply small supplements to hay and seldom give any weight gain due to the low intake.

Latest posts