bull exposure period?

Help Support CattleToday:

mncowboy

Reaction score
For those of you that use a limited bull exposure period, how long of an exposure period do you use before pulling the bulls from the cows?
- 90 days and anyone that isnt bred after that is shipped or is that too long or too short?

60 days here. Bull is mainly 'cleanup' on any that don't stick to AI service, and a few bottom-enders that we've decided aren't worth AIing.
27 of 32 in the Fall herd have calved over the past 3 weeks. 5 left, due in the next 2 weeks, all bred by the bull. Looks like less than a 45-day breeding/calving season this time out - and the Spring herd was similarly tight.

A I eveyting day 1 bull goes in 16 or 17 days later stays32 days then if it works out checked 28 days after bull comes out ,opens shipped after weaning but the opens have got less, ,0 last yr i think it improves fertiliy

I have 36 about to start calving, mated over 38 days, although they would have had 42 days with the bulls. Three missed. I run it tight because I don't want to start too early in the spring and have to be finished by the time I do a short-term job off-farm. I did about half AI last summer.

I cheat and leave the bulls out for 3 months but I think it is excessive as they nearly all calve within two months anyway. 9 weeks is probably plenty of time. I think that is supposed to give them three cycles.

Turned out the bull May 15th. He will come off them on Oct 1 when i wean. Doesn't make sense around here to go to the mountains to try and pull the bull off just so you can find another pasture to put him in for a couple of months.

Steve,
It's taken 7 years to get from that 24/7/365 method like TT's to fairly tight Spring & Fall calving groups. Some late-born heifers &/or 1st-calf heifers have 'rolled' from one group to the other in a few instances, and some have taken a ride to town.
We do synch most of the mature cows in the Spring group - 1 AI service, then out to the bull; most first-calvers anymore we just kick to the bull; all virgin heifers are AI bred on observed heat.
Fall group, we just breed on observed heat - but they're up in paddocks right next to the house for winter feeding so it's easy to watch 'em and catch 'em for breeding. Again, mature cows get one AI service then go to the bull, virgin heifers AI only; most first-calvers in this group get a shot at an AI service before going to the bull.