Bull drinking from cow??

Help Support CattleToday:

mcdowedd

Reaction score
This morning I awoke to the bull drinking from a pregnant cow (she is due to calve any time now). Is this possible?? Or normal??

It's possible, I've seen other cows doin the same thang...they usually get a short ride in a long trailer if they don't stop. As for the bull....maybe he's just bored..all cows bred? But he shouldnt be let do that if she's due to calve soon, he could mess up the whole cholostrum thing. I'd say pull the bull and pen him seperate.....SOON!!!

Actually that's what I would do if it were mine Camp. :lol: I'd send him packing.

Campground Cattle":u67v6wzk said:
ctlbaron":u67v6wzk said:
If she's due to calve soon, you better do like Lilly say and pen him quick.

Yeah pen him in a stock trailer with good wheels hooked up to the truck.

Make sure its hooked up to a truck!! I have seen guys pen a horse in a trailer before while they didn't want the horse in the way...... I guess the horse got to moving a little to much and over went that trailer! ;-)

Is this your herd bull doing this? If it is i've never seen such a thing. I'd think strong about making a change!

mcdowedd":mdaji26u said:
This morning I awoke to the bull drinking from a pregnant cow (she is due to calve any time now). Is this possible?? Or normal??

While it is possible, it's certainly not normal. If this were my herd that bull would have a one-way ticket to the local salebarn ASAP.

No telling how many times that he's done this while you weren't looking.

Maybe he's got a milk fetish, or just a moma's boy that didn't grow up all the way.

Not one to pass on problems, but I'd give this guy a new zip code.

Whether you are talking a bull calf or the breeding bull, he must be pulled out of the herd ASAP.
Concerning the pregnant cow. It would only take a minute or two for a weaned calf to empty the cows bag. A cow only has the one supply of colostrom. Yes, she will bag up immediately, but that will be mostly diluted milk - not new colostrom. So, I would be prepared to give the newborn a colostrom suppliment at birth.
And, how many others might this "bull" have sucked???

Latest posts