Bull conception rates?

Help Support CattleToday:

Putangitangi

Reaction score
In a mob of 30 cows with a mature bull with no fertility issues, all cows cycling, how many would get in calf on average in the first cycle? Alternatively, if a bull mates a cow, what's the chance of her getting in calf to that mating? I think it's around 70%, or is my memory playing tricks and it's lower than that?

I think we're around 80%. out of 25 cows we'll have about 4-5 bred second cycle... Around 70% I would start to suspect bull issues, and by 60% I'd certainly be looking for a replacement.

Putangitangi":3sclgli9 said:
In a mob of 30 cows with a mature bull with no fertility issues, all cows cycling, how many would get in calf on average in the first cycle? Alternatively, if a bull mates a cow, what's the chance of her getting in calf to that mating? I think it's around 70%, or is my memory playing tricks and it's lower than that?

With 30 cows, I would expect the bull to settle every cow first heat unless there was a problem with management. I know we ran a bull with 60 head of cows and the vast majority of them settled first time around. Our calving season was roughly a month long. I also used one buck for 40 head of goats, and they all kidded within a 3 week time frame.