Bull Caught Tree Branch in Nose Ring

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
This one's funny (at least to me)...lol

Our bull "Jet Black Phantom" has been pruning a large tree in our pipe corral since his arrival on 5.23.04. This is ok, since I had hit my head several times on low branches. Yesterday, in his on-going attempt to prune all low branches (under 6' tall) he managed to catch a 3 ft long cedar elm branch in his nose ring...there was about a 1" hook on the branch...after an hour or so he managed to dislodge the branch. Had first tried to eat it away as well as swat flies with it, to no avail.

Never a dull moment with the antics of Longhorns cattle!

P.S.: Another bull couple of years ago was let into one of our dog pens to mow the tall grass (dogs were relocated)...he with about 30" of horns...managed to get his head stuck in the dog house (there was hay bedding in dog house)...after a few minutes he finally worked his head back out... lol...no damage to dog house....

why do cows and calves love to stick their heads in or thru strange places? ive had two calves stuck in forked trees recently. doofuses.

Not only will they stick their heads in strange places and get stuck....but they will try it again and get stuck the second time as well. If one of ours gets their head stuck somewhere I need to patch it or they would keep getting stuck until they hang themselves. I never had one hang himself but my brother-in-law did.

maybe a dumb question....but....how do you work a long horn as far as head gates, chutes, and corrals? Nobody around here raise them, so had to ask!

We've had cattle put there heads in some might goofy places and get stuck... It may be funny ar first but there is almost always a few choice 4 letter words uttered.

Joe":vip5ja4r said:
maybe a dumb question....but....how do you work a long horn as far as head gates, chutes, and corrals? Nobody around here raise them, so had to ask!

Not dumb question at all! We don't use headgates. We use a custom-built swing gate unit based on the "Medina Hinge" concept...is infinitely adjustable regardless of size of the Longhorn. Otherwise, have standard corral and a site-built sweep gate unit for loading onto trailer. We have our breeding facility sectioned off with some 12 pen/pasture areas, all accessible via 14' wide alleys. Can easily herd, sort animals from one pen or area to another with one person. All present stock are trained to respond to coffee can with cubes in it, a fiberglas sorting stick, verbal commands using their names, and hand signals. New arrivals are put in our corral to quarantine for 2-3 weeks and receive Vet checks before integrating into one of our herds...(we are pursuing State approved TB & Brucellosis free certified herd status)...during this time they are introduced to "bucket of cubes" and other training cues.

We have some photos of our "Medina Hinge" on our website along with other photos (click on "Our Ranch Photos" page on website). We feed cubes inside the "squeeze" gates of the hinge with all new arrivals to de-sensitize them for future working and Vet care.

Every time we work with a specific animal we use hand signals and say their name frequently along with cubes to reinforce their responses. Later, we can call any given one by name and they will come to us for sorting....I wish all of our horses were as compliant! We never rush our animals or use a hotshot. It only takes a few more seconds or minutes to work them gently and they always do what we want them to...even going into their respective areas.

:D :cboy:

had a calf with an empty water trough on his head this morning..you know the big blue plastic barrels cut in half. you know what they say... curiosity killed the calf :lol:

Beefy":1fwbq3fy said:
had a calf with an empty water trough on his head this morning..you know the big blue plastic barrels cut in half. you know what they say... curiosity killed the calf :lol:

Bored animals and all can get into all sorts of trouble...humans and non-humans alike....

Latest posts