bull castration question

Help Support CattleToday:

dennisb

Reaction score
I have banded the sack on sheep/rams to neuter them. Is there any tool to do the same for young bulls, instead of slicing the sack?

We had a friend come by and help us last time, seems like there has to be a better way that might have less chance of infection.
also at what age/month would you make them into steers?

thanks
dennisb

yes, there are several on the market. Do a search for "banding Calves" on this site and you should get lots of hits. One brand that gets mentioned quite a bit on here is the tri-bander. Seems some folks think it's the best thing since sliced bread, other folks think it's the worse product ever marketed.

There is also a device that I can't remember what it is called, but it cuts the tube without breaking the skin, basically kind of a clamp with long handles. It will cut a string inside paper without cutting the paper, and the same principle applies to what happens to the bull.

greenwillowherefords":24hk9o6g said:
There is also a device that I can't remember what it is called, but it cuts the tube without breaking the skin, basically kind of a clamp with long handles. It will cut a string inside paper without cutting the paper, and the same principle applies to what happens to the bull.

That device is called a Burdezo. Was popular years ago, but has faded from the scene more recently. I guess the burdezo was replace by the banding technique. With the burdezo you were never 100% confident that the job was done since there was no immediate visual confirmation.
I try to band my bull calves as soon after birth as possible, within a day or two, otherwise the first time we run them through the working pens.

We still use burdezos we tried the bands years ago and a couple of the calves got infected. Prob our lack in knowing how to band properly. Our 5 show steers this year were banded when we brough them home. Ended up taking two of them to the vet after they got infected. I think they were too old to be banded. One of our neighbors bands like Hawk when they are real young he has real good success, but he mainly deals in show cattle. He goes out in the field with a halter and catches the calf and ties it to a fence and bands it.

The bander we us is the "Easy Bbloodless Ccastrator"
Website is - http://www.castrator.com/ We do our calves at 6- 7 months of age with these. And give a tetnus shot.

Another castrator that is simular that can be used on bigger bulls is "Callicrate Bander".
Website - http://www.nobull.net/bander/SmartBander.html

Personally I like the Easy castrator if your doing a bunch of calves. But the other for the big sacked yearling bulls.

I was talking with the owner of one of the local feedlots the other day-- He was saying that they have gone completely to banding.... They buy a lot of calves in the fall that are still bulls- 500-700 lbers-- they did some testing by taking large groups and cutting half of them and banding half of them-- they found they had a higher infection and death loss with the knife cutting than with the banding- also the banded cattle gained better--- They are sold on band and give a tetanus shot....

Early is better with the banding. The calf will be easier to get a hold of on his first day, but mind you his marbles make it to the bottom or why bother? We use the tri band. It's easy for one person to use.

Oldtimer":7aylzi67 said:
I was talking with the owner of one of the local feedlots the other day-- He was saying that they have gone completely to banding.... They buy a lot of calves in the fall that are still bulls- 500-700 lbers-- they did some testing by taking large groups and cutting half of them and banding half of them-- they found they had a higher infection and death loss with the knife cutting than with the banding- also the banded cattle gained better--- They are sold on band and give a tetanus shot....

That's very interesting.

Craig-TX

I band mine as soon after birth as possible, it's usually easy to catch them if it's in the first couple of days when you can still walk up to them while their in that, he can't see me if I don't move no matter how close he is frame of mind. I use the small cherrio bands and bander.

We use the bander with the little green bands. We band when their born but we have to rope them & pull them in the back of the truck to do it or those F1 and some of the brahamn mamas will get you.

The Tri Band with cheerio bands works good for me as long as the calves aren't too old. First time I tried it calves were about 400 lbs and the testes wouldn't fit. This year I worked them at 300 lbs and smaller and it worked like a dream. I watched the calves for several days after and they acted as if nothing had ever happened. The sack just shriveled up and fell off after a couple of weeks. No more knives for me.

First time I tried it calves were about 400 lbs and the testes wouldn't fit. This year I worked them at 300 lbs and smaller and it worked like a dream.

The label on the small cherrio bands I use say not for use on calves over 250 pounds. Do they make this type in larger sizes or are you using the same ones I am.

Latest posts