bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

WolfLady

Reaction score
I have to say I thought some of what was said to me about dairy bull calves was over rated UNTIL TODAY. I was in birthing some goats and didnt have time to get her out b4 she started throwing them at me LOL. She had three accepted two.
Back to what i was saying-- I was in the pen with them when big boy (the one i showed the pic of) decided he wanted a scratch and wasnt taking NO for an answer. He hasnt ever even wanted to be near us much less RUB on us :stop: I felt i had two choices at that point, one was to act like he is a pet dog pet him and enjoy it, OR treat him like a horse and knock the tar outta him.. Because what every one on here has told me..... :clap: I chose to knock him for a loop!!!! :oops: :arrow: THANK YOU ALL!

O YES after today yes yes si si oui oui! just not sure what method i want to use
:?:

WolfLady":1hv5uv78 said:
O YES after today yes yes si si oui oui! just not sure what method i want to use

How old is he? Sorry I haven't been following the story line, I've just seen this one. You can always just band him. I think I saw one banding kit for 15.00- probably not what you want to get if you have 100 calves to do, but for a few I imagine it would be alright. Just be sure to give him some type of Tetanus shot.

Ours get banded and branded the same day... and they're heads are back in the feed trough the same day... it's all a matter of preference and I think we all have both good and bad experiences with most methods of everything.

baxter78":fl8zya66 said:
WolfLady":fl8zya66 said:

Cutting with a knife is always the best method and the least painful and the least stressful for both owner and calf. With the knife it only hurts when you first cut. With the band they could be in pain for a while until the nuts fall off. Ive cut some with a knife and let em out and they went to eating straight away. Where as I banded some and they went off feed and didnt gain weight and start eating really good again until the sack fell off and there was no more pain.
The concept that it hurts till the nuts fall off is bogus.

baxter78":20t1mqwy said:
Answer me this. If someone put a rubber band on your nuts and cut the circulation off it would hurt for a good while and then go numb. Whereas cutting with a knife would hurt less as it is almost instantaneous.

They would go numb awfully quickly and as soon as the circulation is cut off, which is how banding works, there would be no feeling at all. A knife is quicker and that's how I used to do it, now I band because it's easier and with my coordination it's safer for me.

ok he is about 4 1/2 months old what is the best method for him? and THANK you to bigbull338 who said I did right to bust him one :banana: made me feel better about it Thanks!!

I belive I will be cutting his Rather like a goat right? (I have done goats, us girls seem to get a kick out of it :lol: ) Someone told me one other method Even as a woman I woudnt use But i didnt know could be done on bulls ---where you crush?? his lil men? the tubes leading to them? is that right?

WolfLady":1ljom2p9 said:
I belive I will be cutting his Rather like a goat right? (I have done goats, us girls seem to get a kick out of it :lol: ) Someone told me one other method Even as a woman I woudnt use But i didnt know could be done on bulls ---where you crush?? his lil men? the tubes leading to them? is that right?
yep called emasculators :cry2: :cry2:

cutting is easy just go in from behind cut about 1/3-1/2 of the bag off and then reach up and pull them down til ya feel the cords break and then cut them off if they didn't already pull out
probably have to pull on at a time if they are very large
I always give them a tetanus shot and spray with blue coat a good time to do it will be the 30th and 31st of this month

Wolf lady,

This is something that your going to need help with. If you have a squeeze chute, or some other really good way to restrain the calf - you may be able to get it done yourself. A 4 & 1/2 month old bull calf is NOT going to stand still while you cut his jewels off, even if you have someone holding the tail. I never liked the thought of the "tail holder" loosing his/her grip and the calf take off running. With big calves we run them into the squeeze chute, close it down, and tie both back legs so that they are seperated. Then you can remove said jewels. Also a perfect time to give a tetanus shot.

If you think he was pushy/mean just out in the pasture, wait until you grab a hold of his stuff. Just have everything you'll need prepared, because once you start there ain't not going back. Good Luck!

What ever happened to putting them on the ground, one person holds, the other cuts? I don't cut mine any more, but if I did I would still do it the same way. I'm to old for the throwing and holding but I could still do the cutting.

You put yourself in the situation and he got whacked for it? This is the reason I feel if you are not prepared to handle bulls keep them off your farm. He never should have been there, I think you realize this now. You even said you thought the talk was overrated. Just lucky the first time he just wanted his head scratched. RESPECT EVERY BULL! I'm sorry he cornered you and I'm also sorry you had to hit him, sometimes this method results in some severe consequences. Hope everyone learned a lesson. I'm just glad no one got hurt.

dun":2foy9lk6 said:
The concept that it hurts till the nuts fall off is bogus.

I just banded one last week . . . weighed 650 lbs. He acts like nothing happened. Eats fine. No lethargy. If it bothers him, he ain't showing it.

Latest posts