Bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Band em. You can get everything you need at the local feed store. If you do it when they are little it isn't that much of a struggle. They just fall off over a few week's time and I don't think it hurts them. You have to make sure that you bend both guys, though. Otherwise, you will have a one nut bull.

I didn't mean to start such an uproar. Sorry.
Hopefully this wont either. Is there any truth to what Hitman says? I have a clean pair of Vise grips, I dont have a bander or a crimper and I don't feel comfortable cutting them out. The branding sounds a little extreme but I suppose it would work.
Opinions?
thanks.

Hitman":2kpw0wi9 said:
PETA? I think not. I do all of my own slaughtering and butchering. Any yes: the kids help with that too! I usually let them dress in their "Jason and Freddy" costumes. They love it!
I was simply trying to give some tried and true methods of castration to a fellow member of this site. It may sound crazy but vise grips work very well. Keep cranking them down until they easily tear off. Rub a little of your favorite leaf chew on em (just to keep the infection away) and let em go!
This method is inexpensive and fun! Perfect for a new beef farmer!

VHatch":2wmqx94k said:
Hopefully this wont either. Is there any truth to what Hitman says? I have a clean pair of Vise grips, I dont have a bander or a crimper and I don't feel comfortable cutting them out. The branding sounds a little extreme but I suppose it would work.
Opinions?
thanks.

Hitman":2wmqx94k said:
PETA? I think not. I do all of my own slaughtering and butchering. Any yes: the kids help with that too! I usually let them dress in their "Jason and Freddy" costumes. They love it!
I was simply trying to give some tried and true methods of castration to a fellow member of this site. It may sound crazy but vise grips work very well. Keep cranking them down until they easily tear off. Rub a little of your favorite leaf chew on em (just to keep the infection away) and let em go!

Go to your local farm store or order from valley vet a band applicator and some bands. Forget the sensationall type crap and just go with the mainstream.

dun

:shock: :shock: You've got to be KIDDING!!
I'm not a big fan of banding, but it is a good method - especially for beginners. It cannot be very costly for the bander & "cherios", and Tetanus can't be very costly either. You just have to make sure that BOTH testicles are below the rubber band before you release it. But, no matter what method you use - you must count TWO.
Vice-grips :shock: paleaassee!

VHatch":3likplsi said:
Opinions?
thanks.

You didn't start and uproar...you asked a question. The vise grip troll started the uproar with his assinine BS. Now here's a visual..."vise gripping" 30-40 calves before you turn them out...30-40 calves standing around with vise grips hanging off them. Talk about expense! Those things drop off...ya' got a pasture full of vise grips. I guess the troll's kids would come in handy then...running around picking up the vise grips...taking them to ma...ma slapping the "remains" in the fryin' pan..."Pa, supper's ready! And wipe that tobacco juice off your mouth before you come to the table...oh that's not tobacco juice?"

Alice

Hitman":ysckkakd said:
Why the personal attacks? Just because you disagree with me... I get called names like Pamela Anderson (I'd like to built like Tommy Lee-You ever see that guy ;-) Alice??? Come on, tell the truth...
And now you're making fun of my children? I thought this was a friendly site? I guess not.

Friendly is as friendly does.
Take your garbage elsewhere.

VHatch, as somone whos new to it all, you're best to buy/borrow a bander. Don't try surgically invasive methods if you don't know what you're doing. Banding is easy (so long as you get TWO testicles, as Jeanne said) and once the initial shock is gone, things take care of themselves.
Don't listen to the sort of rubbish this fella's brought here.

VHatch":3mvlgxxn said:
Opinions?
thanks.

Hitman":3mvlgxxn said:
you want opinions. this feller is a #$$%%$ and a$#@#$%^%^ and a %$$%&^$ ;-)

Hey I'm an old hand. I do it the way it's easist on the calves and me I band them as soon after birth as I can. Nope never had a 1 nutter.

mnmt

Thanks for all your advice. Hopefully "hitman" is done with his remarks.

mnmtranching":vhhusgee said:
Hey I'm an old hand. I do it the way it's easist on the calves and me I band them as soon after birth as I can. Nope never had a 1 nutter.

mnmt

mnmtranching":3k7exxk9 said:

mnmt

Same here. If you can count to two there isn't normally an issue. Check em twice. Once before you release the band and once after. Takes a second and "IF" you can count to two then you shouldn't have a problem.
For a beginner it might work the best for you. We only use the cut approach on our hogs. Can't band em. Wish we could. Less time and stress on the animals. Probably will never go back.

Just my 2 cents.
RR

In years past we cut, then we started banding because of the mud and fly situation. Using the cheerio bander we still would have to cut a couple of the fat scrotumed big nutted calves. We do them all at one time at spring workup and they'll run from 6 weeks to a week or so old when we do. This year I tried the tri-bander, didn't have to knife a single one. Had to cut the band off of one and put another one on because the sack was so wide and short I didn;t get the band high enough the first time. Takes a fourth of the time with it as it did with the old bander.

dun

dun":4neiaxv3 said:
This year I tried the tri-bander, didn't have to knife a single one. Had to cut the band off of one and put another one on because the sack was so wide and short I didn;t get the band high enough the first time. Takes a fourth of the time with it as it did with the old bander.

dun

What is this tri-bander?

RR

hitman thinks his way is the fun way. the fun way is too wrap a log chain around the nuts and hook it to your truck bumper. then load the family up and watch the fun. perfect for the newbie are the begginer ;-)

just far enough too pop the the jewels out. then your ready for the next one. but haven't figured the branding part out yet hard too brand at 30 mph :p

If your wife drives, and there's a chain there with your name on it, I bet the calf would be branded long before she hit 30.

Roadapple":25vkjry5 said:
If your wife drives, and there's a chain there with your name on it, I bet the calf would be branded long before she hit 30.
no chain with my name on it that i can find just a few of dumb a$$ people that cant answer a strait up question

As a feedlot owner I hate to hear the words banding, bander. banded. any word with band in it anywhere. I will never again buy a steer I know to have been banded. My dislike for banding has nothing to do with how well the banding works or doesn't work. My dislike for banding originates from a little trick that some cow calf guys pull. Bulls grow better but steers sell better. So these cow calf guys shove the nuts up in the calves bellies then put a band over the sack. Over time the sack falls off and presto a steer. So we buy a 52,000 pound load of 4 weight steers put them on feed and 3 months later we have a real bully looking set of steers 3 more months we have a real nice set of over priced worthless bulls. Trying to cut a sackless bull is difficult and leads to almost certain infection. Thank you cow calf guy. One thing about a sale barn they usually give the ranchers name when the calves come in the ring and I store that in the back of my mind I won't buy from him again.