Bull calves

Help Support CattleToday:

somn":1n90ivcf said:
As a feedlot owner I hate to hear the words banding, bander. banded. any word with band in it anywhere. I will never again buy a steer I know to have been banded. My dislike for banding has nothing to do with how well the banding works or doesn't work. My dislike for banding originates from a little trick that some cow calf guys pull. Bulls grow better but steers sell better. So these cow calf guys shove the nuts up in the calves bellies then put a band over the sack. Over time the sack falls off and presto a steer. So we buy a 52,000 pound load of 4 weight steers put them on feed and 3 months later we have a real bully looking set of steers 3 more months we have a real nice set of over priced worthless bulls. Trying to cut a sackless bull is difficult and leads to almost certain infection. Thank you cow calf guy. One thing about a sale barn they usually give the ranchers name when the calves come in the ring and I store that in the back of my mind I won't buy from him again.

I can appreciate your dislike for banding. However, I do not believe that the people on this board are looking to do what you are talking about. There are crooked people everywhere. You should take note of who you bought steers from. If they turn out to be banded bulls you should take action.
Your paperwork should say that you purchased steers. If large numbers come up with 2 nuts????????? You didn't get what you payed for. It wouldn't be going on if they weren't getting away with it. I am sorry that someone would do this to you. The numbers of honest to goodness cowman are dwindling fast. Banding is a perfectly good way to castrate if done correctly.

RR

mnmtranching":1104ll6i said:
somn, you really find this in Minnesota?

mnmt
That load came from a western South Dakota sale barn I will leave the sale barn name out they had no idea it was happening they did however find out from me. They felt terrible about it and offered to make it right. It wasn't there fault and after all it is a auction I am the only one resposible for my actions you buy what you see and you buy what you don't see it has always been that way. I learned to stay away from banded cattle.

I have found its easier for me to band them at about a week old.
They are easier to handle and it doesnt seem to really bother them. They go right back to nursing as if nothing happened.

Censorship! Isn't it great?! I get called names and ridiculed for offering an opinion and I'm the one who gets banned from the site. Nice- real nice.
By the way- I've used a log chain and a pickup before. I agree, it works gggrrrreeeeaaatttt!

Grippie":23cdp1mh said:
Censorship! Isn't it great?! I get called names and ridiculed for offering an opinion and I'm the one who gets banned from the site. Nice- real nice.
By the way- I've used a log chain and a pickup before. I agree, it works gggrrrreeeeaaatttt!

Good! Maybe someone should try it on you.

What? What are you talking about? Man...
I think I got it! This is like one of those little country diners huh? You're not welcome unless you're one of the regulars...
If you are, you cant say anything wrong. If ya aren't it's like...- "Aw man that guy is a ##$%^ :mad: !@##$%$ :mad:

these folks are looking for solid advice . not some{ take your favorite whittling knife and carve um out and then spit baccer juice on it} answer this aint the 1800"S

Obviously no one does that. I sent VHatch am email long before all of you got so upset and told him that I (personally) always band. I was kidding (before I got attacked. People need to lighten up.. Some people "get it" and some people dont..

Grippie":2msrofxo said:
Obviously no one does that. I sent VHatch am email long before all of you got so upset and told him that I (personally) always band. I was kidding (before I got attacked. People need to lighten up.. Some people "get it" and some people dont..

And some people like to hop on and off message boards for the pure purpose of stirring up trouble...

Alice

well you being new how is anyone gonna know. this board has people jump on just long enough to start trouble then bail. so i apologise. and welcome aboard

Hey! Thanks ALACOWMAN. I have alot to learn and you folks sound like you have lots of info to offer. I have been in the small scale (30-60 cows)dairy business all of my life. I have a small herd of 15 beefers now. No expert but I am trying to have fun with it instead of being real scientific (if ya know what I mean) Just trying to raise enough beef to eat for ourselves and have a few halves a year to sell.

Grippie":1vamqwur said:
Hey! Thanks ALACOWMAN. I have alot to learn and you folks sound like you have lots of info to offer. I have been in the small scale (30-60 cows)dairy business all of my life. I have a small herd of 15 beefers now. No expert but I am trying to have fun with it instead of being real scientific (if ya know what I mean) Just trying to raise enough beef to eat for ourselves and have a few halves a year to sell.

Welcome Grippie! If you had lurked for a while ( maybe you did ) you would see most folks introduce themselves and at least let us know they are cattle people. ( If you have been in cattle a while you know we have enemies and it pays to keep our heads up on these boards ).

There are a few things that will bring a posse in a hurry in here, causing unnecessary suffering, and neglect of the animals are 2 of them. We know now that you were kidding, and I love to kid too :lol: , but a lot of us depend on cattle for a living so we take the reputation of our industry seriously.

And now for a confession - I pinch! Somm where are you on that as a feeder? No surgery, very little apparent pain, and the results ( shrivelled bag ) can usually be seen in a couple weeks ( I fully understand cutting is best but this seems to be working for me ).

Any other pinchers out there care to come outta the closet??
:lol:

Latest posts