Bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

If he is a bull you are planning to purchase, he looks more like a really nice heifer. A bull calf his age should already be showing nice muscled shoulders; neck beginnig to thicken up with a hump, and if the rump is going to be full, the muscling will be there as well.

He would make a heck of a heifer!!!

I would continue to search.
Chuckie

seems like he acts pretty goofy, too much set to his hind legs and too feminine looking for my tastes.

The calf was about 6 to 6 1/2 months old when videoed. I'd agree with the others assessment.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of "modern" Hereford bull calves lack showing masculinity at this age anymore. I don't know if it's a byproduct of selecting for maternal traits, possibly selecting for increased marbling, or selecting to get all those "sharp-fronted" heifers - or ALL of the above! But the trend worries me a bit!

George

Hmmm.....

I admit that I bought the calf and am presently well please with my purchase.

I will agree the video does not show much muscling, masclinity, and that his rear legs look strange.

I have paused the video at different spots and see evidence that tells me otherwise.
Points that I really like, which are not seen during his frisky run for freedom.

Is he one of the best ones available today?
Mark Largent likes him enough that he wants semen from him for his own use.
In my opinion it depends on your enviroment and what your end goals are.
I think that he has a lot of possibiliy and may be one of todays best, but not for a totally grass only beef program.
Time will tell.

I hope that you will see a different looking bull in a few months.

Thank you for your replies.
I do appreciate your opinions about what you saw.
I also agree with them from just watching the video, it's when you pause it at select locations I see something entirely different.
I also know a little about the breeding that indicates possible good preformance from his future calves.

I like to see calves, etc ungroomed, because I don't know any beef producers who groom their animals before a sale. I do think he could be a little more developed on the front end for his age, but I am far from an accurate eye and often put too much emphasis on "looks" rather than production ability

Latest posts