Bull Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

warpaint

Reaction score
This is a pic of our bull calf. Getting him ready to show in Jackson, Miss. in Feb.

100_0334.jpg

I just can't see what anyone sees in LH. If this is representative of a good bull calf what do you like about it, besides the pretty color pattern.
No muscle, no bone, no rib, actually looks thicker neck than butt. Oh yeah, he does have horns :shock: who needs them in a herd of cattle.
I really hate to pick on someone, but there have been several LH pics lately, and I just don't get it! Don't get me wrong, this MAY be a great speciman of a LH. Just doesn't do anything for me.
Let us know how you do, and how much competition he had.

Well, Longhorns are not everybody's cup of tea. I prefer them to other breeds. You are welcome to your opinion, of course. That's what makes this country great. Freedom to choose. I don't happen to like looking in my pasture and seeing the same cow everywhere I look.

This is not a very good pic of him. He is young, about 7 mos. and just breaking to halter. :cboy:

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xnrkmy8 said:
I just can't see what anyone sees in LH. If this is representative of a good bull calf what do you like about it, besides the pretty color pattern.
No muscle, no bone, no rib, actually looks thicker neck than butt. Oh yeah, he does have horns who needs them in a herd of cattle.
I really hate to pick on someone, but there have been several LH pics lately, and I just don't get it! Don't get me wrong, this MAY be a great speciman of a LH. Just doesn't do anything for me.
Let us know how you do, and how much competition he had.
I have to say that I agree with you about wondering what people see in longhorns, but in the same breath, I must say this is a nice longhorn bull calf.

he does have some toothpick legs. i dont have or foresee owning any longhorns in the future but i've always respected them as a breed.

He is a decent bull. I would like to see him exhibit more bone and substance, and a stronger rear third.

What is his birthday?

He's still really young, and there are definantly some good things about him.

We just decided to come to Jackson, so we'll see ya'll there. We'll be bringing the bull I posted pics of in the other thread on the breeds board, I think the post was title "Tear him up" or something like that.

Ryan

TheBullLady":gsu0r5ga said:
Don't they judge Longhorns based more on their horn size and length? Or are they judged as a beef animal?

In my opinion, horns should get very minimal consideration in judging longhorns. THey should be judged as a beef breed. Growth, conformation, structural correctness, volumn, capacity, etc etc etc... Horns are a part of the breed, so they should be considered, but only be a very minimal factor in selection.

You have to remember that they were partially developed for the horns. I mean the horns are a very important characteristic of the breed. In order to preserve the breed, I think that judges should keep the horns in mind when going through a class of texas longhorns. Otherwise, the breed will end up like many of the other breeds...mixed with other things just for the money, not for the actual good of the Longhorn.

Jay, you have a good point. The show in Jackson will be of many beef breeds, with all competing at the same time according to age. In a show where it's just LH's, as long as the judge is a LH enthusiast the horn and coloration do come into play. Unfortunately, in mixed shows, we're the step children. :roll:

I do not think that color should come into play at all. It is impossible to predict color. For example, two beautifully spotted animals can easily produce a solid red or solid white animal; or two black or black and white animals can produce brown and white. So, penalizing an animal for its color makes no sense at all, since it cannot be controlled or influenced by selection, just randomness.

I do see your points on horns. However, all longhorns have them. And, since there is variance between every longhorn, I think that in the show ring it is possible to judge and place longhorns with little to no emphasis on the horns.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for horns. However, I feel that selecting for horns over anything related to the production or growth of the animal is doing an injustice to the animal, and I would only be hurting the animal and not helping it.

two black or black and white animals can produce brown and white.
Nooo - black X black can ONLY produce black - no brown, - yes can have white if parent/s have white.
And I guess I disagree to a point. If you study genetics - and know the breeds you are dealing with, you can predict the possibilities of color or color patterns you can expect.
Not sure about LH genes - I don't know their genetic color patterns, but a LH breeder might.

This is Longhorns we're talking about. Color variations are the norm in LH's. We can breed two solid black animals and get a whole different colored calf. Depends on the lineage.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1o7o8cxr said:
two black or black and white animals can produce brown and white.
Nooo - black X black can ONLY produce black - no brown, - yes can have white if parent/s have white.
And I guess I disagree to a point. If you study genetics - and know the breeds you are dealing with, you can predict the possibilities of color or color patterns you can expect.
Not sure about LH genes - I don't know their genetic color patterns, but a LH breeder might.

My previous post was in regards to longhorns solely. I understand genes and how colors work when breeding, however due to the diversity of the color genes, longhorns are a whole different ball game. That is why i think color should not be a factor in the show ring, unless judging steers (but that's a different situation all together)

Ryan":3sensp5q said:
We just decided to come to Jackson, so we'll see ya'll there. We'll be bringing the bull I posted pics of in the other thread on the breeds board, I think the post was title "Tear him up" or something like that.

Ryan

just found out we will not be going to Jackson after all. We are instead going to Truth or Consequences, NM. They are having a 2-show show the next weekend, and we really don't want to make 8+ hour trips 2 weekends in a row.

Latest posts