bull calf to pick on

Help Support CattleToday:

Knersie wrote:

but if those who fail to understand their role in the industry continue to breed the backfat away it might not be the case anymore in the future.

I remember years ago when herefords were in decline here in Australia you'd often hear the comment along the lines of: " Herefords will never compete with Angus until they can fix the backfat problem".
At the time I assumed that too much back fat was just a simple carcass quality issue. Is the backfat the reserve that enables them to hold their condition under harsh condition?

Andrew

townfarmer":bavppsta said:
Knersie wrote:

but if those who fail to understand their role in the industry continue to breed the backfat away it might not be the case anymore in the future.

I remember years ago when herefords were in decline here in Australia you'd often hear the comment along the lines of: " Herefords will never compete with Angus until they can fix the backfat problem".
At the time I assumed that too much back fat was just a simple carcass quality issue. Is the backfat the reserve that enables them to hold their condition under harsh condition?

Andrew

Yes.

There is a difference between being able to store enough energy in the form of backfat and having all growth bred out of them so they can only stack on fat in a feedlot situation instead of growing red meat.

Knerie has some of the best looking phenotype Herefords and the soundest structural Herefords I think I have ever seen. We don't always agree on how we describe what we are looking for, but we pretty much like the same type of cattle. I don't agree with wanting/needing a "masculine" head in a calf, but other than that, he's usually "spot on".
Nice bull calf. I really like his bone - appears to be good & wide & flat.

Latest posts