Bull calf pics .. I like him, you may not...

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I am really liking this guy , he is a Moderator son and is doing exceptional . He is a h@ll of an animal to take a pic of though as he does not stand worth crap as soon as you have a camera in your hand but is a little poser when no one is looking.. He is almost 6 months old ..
IMG_1149.jpg

IMG_1150.jpg

IMG_1151.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Nice Bull calf HD. He looks like a man among boys with those other calves. Any idea what he weighs.

now he is a heck of a bull calf.an he has the stamp of a herd bull on him.i to would like to know what he weighs.an see him in the fall.

I don't know what he weighs but my guess is about 700-750 lbs, if he keeps going he is going to have a heck of a ween weight. He is really calm and gentle as well, not "friendly" but gentle/calm ,easy to be around without being flighty which is a quality I like in a bull. I am pretty sure he is spoken for already the neighbor was over to drop off the disc and saw him. He really liked him and wants to see him in the fall again. They run herfs and maine as well as galloways and he thinks gelbvieh would add to the heterosis of his herd.
Moderator is a surprising sire, he is not all that known or used very much but the few of his progeny that I have are really growthy and beefy without being large framed. I have a 1st calver out of moderator and she is a beauty as well, I have kept her calf as a bull which I never do from heifers to see how he grows out and he is doing really well also this is my best calf crop yet, now if we could get some rain so I can have an even better one next year instead of none at all.

Here is the sire:
029GV00068_Bull.jpg

http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/gelbvi ... o=29GV0068

I will see if I can get a few pics of some daughters that I have from him.

How about a picture of his Mama. What was his DOB and do you have a birthweight on him

hillsdown":2lav0gug said:
, I have kept her calf as a bull which I never do from heifers to see how he grows out and he is doing really well also this is my best calf crop yet, now if we could get some rain so I can have an even better one next year instead of none at all.

Good looking animals.

Could it be that drought makes for a good calf crop. I seem to believe that my calf crop is about the best I've had in a long time too. However, I don't want to give the fact that I sold 30% of the cows any of the credit. :shock: I would rather give it to the bull. Can't knock the cows I sold to much, they were good cows that just had attitude problems or were the wrong ---- :roll: color.

He's a great looking calf. I don't know much about the gelbvieh breed. in fact I don't think I've ever seen a bull in the flesh. Is that amount of dewlap normal for a gelbvieh? When I first saw the pictures I thought he may have been a charbray or a simbrah with all that loose skin.

Andrew

I will get the info tomorrow for you 3way. I do know his birth wieght was low,and I'll try for a pic of his dam. I had a very sh@tty afternoon. Cow down in the pature 1./2 mile away I don't know if she did the splits or laid in a funny spot and couldn't get back up. I couldn't find help around so I took the skid steer out and managed to get her back on her belly. She finally got up on her own but her back legs are very week . She is laying down properly now and has eaten hay and drank water ,I also gave her a good dose of anti inflammatory. Will see if she can move around better tomorrow, if not I will have to put her down,,how sucky is that..

Townfarmer moderator calves look like when they are young that but they grow into it and do not have all that flesh as a they mature.

AC, I like to go through life wearing my rose colored glasses. :p

His DOB was Jan. 16th 2009 and he weighed 72lbs .

Here is his dam taken today ,she is scrurred but the bull calf is polled :

IMG_1195.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

VERY impressive HD. I can't believe the condition on that cow for raising a calf like that. She's a little short backed but otherwise a good lookin cow. He looks like he's gonna be a he[[ova bull.

3wc the dam was weened too early so she is a little stunted but is a h@ll of a mom,, I was stupid stupid stupid and made a huge mistake when I first starting out with beef. I listened to the wrong people who knew nothing ..It is a long and very different road from dairy to beef but I have been trying to do my homework and get my herd up to speed and perform their best.

There is also more to this story. If you look at the first pic of the dam you will see 3 calves, the big one in the middle is hers as well.. ;-)

HD even if you know cattle getting hooked up with the wrong breeder will always set you back.theres only 1 differance tween beef an dairy cattle.the dairy cows are milked twice a day.an bred to the very best bulls you can get.an beef cattle are bred to the best bulls.an wean the best calves they can.

hillsdown":xx8107k2 said:
3wc the dam was weened too early so she is a little stunted but is a h@ll of a mom,, I was stupid stupid stupid and made a huge mistake when I first starting out with beef. I listened to the wrong people who knew nothing ..It is a long and very different road from dairy to beef but I have been trying to do my homework and get my herd up to speed and perform their best.

There is also more to this story. If you look at the first pic of the dam you will see 3 calves, the big one in the middle is hers as well.. ;-)

I am amazed that no one has figured out that this big bull calf has a twin. How many more clues does she have to give you folks. This sure makes that cow even more impressive that she already was.

Just goes to show ya size and looks ain't everything. she's a beef producing machine

Latest posts