Bull calf pics .. I like him, you may not...

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew you may have seen Gelbviehs and not realised it. There is some at Glen Aplin not far from your property. They look a bit like Limousin,Blonde Aquitane etc. They haven't really taken off in Australia. They are too high maintenance, they need good feed, calving difficulties were a problem. Entrepreneurs off loaded them onto unsuspecting buyers who crossed them over every thing large and small. We used them and found their temperament a problem and were always the first to crack up when things got tough. We had a small pure herd and crossed them over South Devons and Brahmans those crosses were good.

Getting back to the picture the calf is a beauty.
Colin

Australian":2lo2d7j1 said:
Andrew you may have seen Gelbviehs and not realised it. There is some at Glen Aplin not far from your property. They look a bit like Limousin,Blonde Aquitane etc. They haven't really taken off in Australia. They are too high maintenance, they need good feed, calving difficulties were a problem. Entrepreneurs off loaded them onto unsuspecting buyers who crossed them over every thing large and small. We used them and found their temperament a problem and were always the first to crack up when things got tough. We had a small pure herd and crossed them over South Devons and Brahmans those crosses were good.

Getting back to the picture the calf is a beauty.
Colin

we found the colour of the meat and fat were dodgey in the pure breds

Colin, all that you have listed as problems are exactly why I chose the breed they are exact opposite here. They are easy keepers, can handle heat or cold (summer we get in the high 30's winter the -40's), calve very easy (never assisted one cow this year besides a couple of sets of twins where the second calf was backwards) and the calves are up and drinking right away . I am the main operator here so I will not keep a mean tempered animal around, these girls as well as their calves are real dolls to be around. Also they are extremely fertile, I had a heifer calve at 21 months and I bred her back a month and a half later.. I also get good reports back from feeders that buy my steers that they are very easy to handle and are not spooky whatsoever which actually helps them gain faster. Gelbvieh has come a long way here from the original gold full bloods that were dual purpose in Germany. A lot of work has been done and although we still have a long way to go the breed is on the move..They also make great xbreeds..My favorite crosses are with Hereford and Charolais.. The meat is delicious..

But as with anything not every breed is meant for all parts of the world. I think with these being a German breed and Germany's climate being very close to ours they do very well here.

Thanks for all of the input, the one thing I am worried about is his hind quarter but I am hoping that will pick up more. I have know doubt with how he looks now that he will be great for a commercial herds ween weights. I will keep you all up to date on Maximus as he grows..

Edit to add..
Colin after seeing pics of the area in Australia you live in I will be the first to admit that my Gelbvieh's wouldn't last a day there, so in that case they would be very high maintenance.. :help: I have no doubt there are many breeds we use here that do very well for us but would not cut it in your stations..