Bull calf opinions please...

Help Support CattleToday:

Jessica06

Reaction score
He has nice lines. I would probably keep him intact and reevaluate him closer to weaning. Once you cut him, you can't undo it if he gets better!

That's not the greatest picture for use in an evaluation. At this point, being that he's just 3 months old, as ricebeltrancher suggested I'd wait until 6 months old or weaned and re-evaluate then.

Dogs and Cows":r6mmfnat said:
He is very curious and friendly with me. All of my Dexters are friendly. I don't have a high headed or crazy animal here.

Regarding unexceptional...what would a bull calf at this age show that would make you go "he is a good one"? Thanks!

Tim

He would look very close to what you want to see in a two year old bull.

One of the things I like in any animal, not just a bull, is width throughout the back, no hollow spot behind the shoulders, and a meaty rump. The hollow behind the shoulders I find just gets more pronounced with age. I like animals that don't have any sharp corners on them. The picture of your boy certainly isn't flattering.. try and get a better one for us to judge by :)... If he's got a good temperament, that's a plus for him certainly.

Here is one of mine, under 2 months old that I quite liked.

And again at about 7 months

KNERSIE":33qrw7or said:
Dogs and Cows":33qrw7or said:
He is very curious and friendly with me. All of my Dexters are friendly. I don't have a high headed or crazy animal here.

Regarding unexceptional...what would a bull calf at this age show that would make you go "he is a good one"? Thanks!

Tim

He would look very close to what you want to see in a two year old bull.
Dexters just don't look like our standard beef cattle. I do not think that I have ever seen that breed exhibit the thickness and masculinity that we normally would want to see in a bull calf. So to me it is comparing apples to oranges.

Dexters just don't look like our standard beef cattle. I do not think that I have ever seen that breed exhibit the thickness and masculinity that we normally would want to see in a bull calf. So to me it is comparing apples to oranges.
True enough, but if the goal is to create a 'beef' dexter, you're going to want to select in the direction of other ("real" :hide:) beef breeds.

Nesikep":epaawep4 said:
True enough, but if the goal is to create a 'beef' dexter, you're going to want to select in the direction of other beef breeds.
:nod: I've seen few dexter bulls that can be considered as beef type than dual purpose type. Personally if I want beef dexters up I would a.i them with better dexter sire or use a lowline bull.

Most dexters seem to be a little lighter in the rear generally. Check out semen from the UK or ireland. I have seen some dexter pics from there that made me think twice about having a few.

Just out of curiosity, are you set on Dexters? I ran into a guy at the vet clinic a while back who's raising the small Herefords. (He called them "traditional" and seemed to resent the term "Mini-Herefords". He said they're the same size Herefords were 100 years or so ago, before they were bred up to the large animals we have today.) Anyway, I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to pack quite a bit of meat on a small frame, and might be a good choice for someone with limited acreage.

Rafter S":4zncm9yq said:
Just out of curiosity, are you set on Dexters? I ran into a guy at the vet clinic a while back who's raising the small Herefords. (He called them "traditional" and seemed to resent the term "Mini-Herefords". He said they're the same size Herefords were 100 years or so ago, before they were bred up to the large animals we have today.) Anyway, I don't know much about them myself, but they seem to pack quite a bit of meat on a small frame, and might be a good choice for someone with limited acreage.

Frame sizes 000, 00, 0, 1, and 2 are MINI. Classic style Herefords of the past would be frames 3,4,and 5. All you need is a tape.

AllForage":4o1ry0fw said:
Rafter S":4o1ry0fw said:

Frame sizes 000, 00, 0, 1, and 2 are MINI. Classic style Herefords of the past would be frames 3,4,and 5. All you need is a tape.
The "minis" that I have seen (showing) tend to have funny looking faces with bulgy looking eyes. The owners also claimed "they are the old traditional style Herfs." They looked to have dwarfism characteristics to me.
I think Lowlines would be an excellent cross with your Dexters. JMO

Gale Seddon, who used to be a frequent poster on here, she breeds/bred Dexters. Her bull was a masculin, meaty bull. She bred them for the same reasons mentioned, limited acreage and the size of the beef steers met her and her customer's 'demand'. She/they didn't need the animals to finish out at 1200 to 1800 lbs.

Beefy Dexters do exist.

Latest posts