bull calf hernia

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
I just noticed yesterday that one of my bull calves (about 3 months old) seems to have a hernia. Is the only solution surgery to fix the problem?

Depends on the saverity. You can ignore it and sometimes they go away. There is also the rapping of the body with tape for a couple of weeks. I did that with an ox trainy with good results and one of the local dairys treats any herniated heifers with that mehtod.

I felt of it and it is hard, but right in front of his pecker. I had thought about taping it up, but wasnt sure if I should just take my duct tape and wrap it or not.

Limomike":1greh1gk said:
I felt of it and it is hard, but right in front of his pecker. I had thought about taping it up, but wasnt sure if I should just take my duct tape and wrap it or not.

That's what I used on the ox. I think the dairy uses vetwrap but that's way too expensive for me. You have to take it off every couple of days or a least once a week and rewrap so the calf can grow and it has to be wrapped tightly

I have dealt with this before on at least 2 occassions. Each time I left it alone, and the animal was fine to finish ~ did as well as the others as far as gain. Duct tape was suggested to me by the locals as well.

This does not sound like a hernia to me . With a hernia you should be able to push it back up into the body cavity, then it is just a matter of holding it there until the opening closes up . With heifers we use a couple of castrating bands to hold it after it is pushed back in, but obviuosly that won't work with a steer.

With what you've described, I agree with angie, just let it alone and maybe he will be ok .

Larry

I will be talking to my vet today, and see what he says. But, I think I will just leave him alone and see how he does on his own. I am also just wondering if it might not be a hernia; since it feels like a hard ball of "mass". Not sure what that could be, but it is the size of a medium sized apple.

Limomike":go54pxi7 said:
I will be talking to my vet today, and see what he says. But, I think I will just leave him alone and see how he does on his own. I am also just wondering if it might not be a hernia; since it feels like a hard ball of "mass". Not sure what that could be, but it is the size of a medium sized apple.

Maybe an encapsulated navel invection?

dun":2yb9to94 said:
Limomike":2yb9to94 said:

Maybe an encapsulated navel invection?

My thoughts too. Hernias tend to be soft and pliable. Not hard.

Maybe an encapsulated navel invection?[/quote]

Took him to the vet yesterday, and he said that is what it felt like to him. (encapsulated navel infection) Vet said to give it another week or two and see if it develops a "soft spot" where we could lance it, or cut it completely off; then give it some antibiotics. Dont want to give it antibiotics now, or it would only prolong the ordeal, and would just come back even worse later.

Just goes to show that even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while

dun":1q7b5pg0 said:
Just goes to show that even a blind hog finds an acorn once in a while

:lol: :lol: Yep.. if ya sniff around long enough, ur bound to find something!!
That thing sure looked like a hernia, but I kinda figured something else when it was harder than guts. Best thing about it was the vet didnt charge me anything. Of course, he didnt do anything either but feel it like I did, and give his expert opinion. But nowdays, alot of docs think that is worth charging you for.

Latest posts