Bull calf fine one day dead the next?

Help Support CattleToday:

mzvob

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, this was a first for me. I had a 8 wk old calf that was running, bucking, kicking, eating creep feed and drinking water one day then the next he was down. Got him up and moved him and his mother to a holding pen so I could keep an eye on him. He seemed to be favoring his left hind foot so I thought he had hurt his foot, got him down and checked it out no footrot, no swelling anywhere, nothing seemed wrong, but within 2hrs time he was laid out on his side and stiff as a board , he was still alive but he would not even try to get up. I called my vet and he told me to give him a shot of Benamine which I did. He was not slobbering, he had no labored breathing, he had normal bowel movement, he was not bloated, he had nursed his mother twice while I was watching him. He died within 12hrs time. Anyway I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. And what the heck it could be.

Options:
1. Quick pneumonia -- did you have a rapid temperature change? either hot to cold or cold to hot? or a nice cold rain?
2. Blackleg
3. Sounds like he got a good side shot causing internal bleeding... either from another cow or another cow crushed the little fella...

...that's the only things I can think of based upon your description. Of course a necropsy may (or may not) tell you anything - if it's one calf, I'd let it go and not pay for the necropsy... if it happens twice, then get the vet to take a look!

Any other signs with any other calves... scours? walking slow? What's your vaccination program for clostridial diseases... the more information you can give us the better off we can help.

Thank you so much for your speedy reply, we did have a cold snap with rain, but as I said he did not have labored breathing or a runny nose, no coughing are any signs of congestion. He was just a beautiful Red Brangus baby bull. I hope I don't have anymore loses like this. I still have 2 more bull calves and 2 heifers I'm keeping a very close eye on. I feel alot like you I think he was kicked by his mother because she was hateful to him at times. She will be going to the sale barn here real soon.

I would take him to the vet and get a post mortem done to find out what definately happened.

Welcome to the board, hope things go better for you. :tiphat:

Thank you, :wave: a fella at work gave me this web page I'm glad he did. I forgot to say that all my new calves have had on-set 5 nasal vacine at 3 days of age and all my other stock get vacinated annually. I just have a small herd but all are Registered Red Brangus so when I lose one it cost me especially the young ones. If it were cooler here I probley would get a post mortem done but it's in the 80's and it is suppose to stay hot for awhile now, I have no way of keeping the carcuss so just buried him. The vet around here won't be back in the office til Tuesday.

Had a bull Hereford calf drop dead at 2 months of age the year before last-he was healthy, eating fine, not a thing wrong. Went out the next morning and he was dead. Assumed it must have been his heart or something internal as he wasn't ill and didn't see any injuries on him. Hope it was a fluke thing for you and the rest of yours will be OK.

My first guess judging by your symptoms would be perforated ulcer , and to save one is few and far between as they go down very fast and by the time you see symptoms it is usually too late..You should get him posted if you are concerned about the welfare of your other calves and are unsure of the COD..

FWIW, if you suspect an ulcer or stomach related problems banamine is the wrong choice of anti inflammatory drug..You are best to go with anifen or predef..

I really do not think it was black leg as I have never found a black leg animal alive. Black leg animals are fine one minute and dufod the next (done up and fell over dead).

mzvob":1h2dsqy2 said:
I was just wondering if anyone has had this happen to them, this was a first for me. I had a 8 wk old calf that was running, bucking, kicking, eating creep feed and drinking water one day then the next he was down. Got him up and moved him and his mother to a holding pen so I could keep an eye on him. He seemed to be favoring his left hind foot so I thought he had hurt his foot, got him down and checked it out no footrot, no swelling anywhere, nothing seemed wrong, but within 2hrs time he was laid out on his side and stiff as a board , he was still alive but he would not even try to get up. I called my vet and he told me to give him a shot of Benamine which I did. He was not slobbering, he had no labored breathing, he had normal bowel movement, he was not bloated, he had nursed his mother twice while I was watching him. He died within 12hrs time. Anyway I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. And what the heck it could be.

My vet told me that it is not uncommon for a calf to get a twist in its stomach (turn stomach over) when they are romping and playing. This could be the problem. I don't know how long they survive with this condition.

Latest posts