Bull Calf Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Jabes0623

Reaction score
I'm looking for some feedback on my bull calf. This is mostly a learning exercise for me so don't worry about hurting my feelings be blunt & honest. What does he do right? What does he do wrong? Would you cut him or leave him intact?

If you need any info ask & I'll try to answer. He's 9 months old. I guess I should also note I'm 6'6" so he may look shorter in the pics than he is because of me.

And only because I see this pic asked for here when wanting opinions on cattle...

He is lacking muscling in his rear third. He also looks to break in his topline, just a bit and looks tight in the heart girth. All the hair, however,makes it really hard to evaluate him. He does have enough bone and decent growth for his age. In my opinion, he should be a steer. Just not enough to love phonotypically to suggest keeping him as a breeding piece. Just my :2cents:

As a side note, I would recommend giving that navel hair a trim. That long hair can cause a number of issues on a bull/ steer that a scissors can easily and quickly fix.

He won't give you good daughters, especially with his baboon tail. He should be a steer in my opinion.

I would cut him for sure. Would not keep as a bull. He looks too feminine.

Similar to what Bootjack posted, he hasn't got enough muscle expression for my liking.

In my opinion, he would do best as a steer/feeder.