Bull calf born with no eyes???

Help Support CattleToday:

Most likely not necessary to sew the eyelids shut. Our experience was the tissue just filled in, kind of like when you have a tooth pulled and the gum just fills in the empty spot.

Also, confine that cow and teach the calf to nurse. You don't need to give the cow a free ride while you feed the calf. If I remember right, we decided to ship our cow when the calf was old enough to wean, about 3 months. While there are some weeds that can cause this, it could have been genetic. Since we raise breeding stock we didn't want to take the chance. A second reason to ship the cow is she wouldn't have been bred in a timely manner unless we AI'd her.

The last picture that Dun posted looks like the calf has a snotty nose, does he? His head looks a bit misshapen, is that true or just an optical illusion? I'm thinking if he's got other deformities you might be better off dispatching him now.

No need to get attached, or feel sorry for it; it's just another freezer calf.

That calf will be fine. He'll learn his way around, what ever pen he is in. I would get him up big enough to slaughter, and just put him in the deep freeze. His head deformity makes me think that he may be afflicted mentally. That might make it tougher.

Chris H. no snotty nose, I took the picture after his bottle, that was the last drop of milk. I believe the picture is not doing his head justice. He looks perfectly normal except for the eyes. Will post better pics as we go along.

After feeding him this morning, I witnessed my first calving? pretty amazing to watch the whole thing. After 3 children of my own and 4 grandchildren and this being a cow, I was still in awe of the whole thing. This baby girl was perfect and mama took care of her right away.

I know most of you are old pros at this, I only wish I could have been part of this a long time ago. Truly wish I could have raised my children knowing how to care for and work the land and take care of the cattle. I have a 15 month old granddaughter who lives close by and I pray she gets into 4H and FFA when she gets older.

Stevie was doing well until Wednesday evening. When I went to feed him there was blood in his feces and he only drank 1/4 bottle. My husband said it didn't look good, he was not acting the same as normal. Well I guess Mother Nature took care of things, when my husband went this morning (I was afraid to) he was gone. Mama has been bellowing all day. I hope it doesn't take to long for her to get over losing him. I did my best, but he is probably better off.

Thanks again all for all your comments, I know where to come when I have a question. You all were great. :)

Tammi, I lost a calf this week to a different set of circumstances. I got over it when I looked at the beautiful cattle I had in my green pastures. The fall calves came up to me and rubbed their heads and necks against my legs. I scratched their heads and backs. They didn't want me to leave. The smell of spring and cattle was better than perfume. Birds were singing everywhere. The rush of all the wonder around me over took the loss of a calf. I hope you find such pleasure to replace the loss of the blind calf. BTW, the disagreement you see on CT is not as great as it may seem. In my opinion, everyone can support their point of view. Cattle are a business and to make a profit is difficult. We all understand that. But no one should make the mistake of approaching cattle like they were a carpenters tools and truth be known, the people you see on here all have a soft spot for what I think is one of the sweetest animals under the sun. I watched my cow the past couple days as she handled the loss of her calf. She would not leave where she had it until I disposed of it. She still goes back looking for it. And bust my breeches and call me a liar if I don't see her mourning. I think I am objective and I acknowledge that what I am doing is tainted with a dose of anthropomorphism, but it is hard to keep such thoughts out of your mind.

Here is my point, I know there are the pragmatic types like Bez (I am sincere when I say he is one of my favorite personalities even though he and I are very different) who will read what I said above and totally disagree, but my cattle provide me pleasure in ways beyond their economic value. My philosophy on raising cattle is unique to me as a person. I am not an advocate that others should follow that philosophy unless it is by example. I don't want that burden. It is one thing to provide an account of ones experiences and provide direction; it is something else entirely to become an advocate for ones style or philosophy.

PS Just came back and looked at what I said, "What the He$$ am I talking about?"

Ryder":2uf4hctz said:
inyati13":2uf4hctz said:
PS Just came back and looked at what I said, "What the He$$ am I talking about?"
I was wondering that same thing. :lol:
(Just joking with you.)

Glad to see someone else who likes to joke. It is half of the fun I get out of life. When people hear me and my mom cutting up, they think we are mentally handicapped (we probably are, I know she is). I took her out with me today. She is 90 and spends her time in the nursing home. Plus, it is raining like he$$ so what else can I do. I was taking her back and was driving along the North Fork of the Licking River. It is already getting over its banks. Dad died just a few weeks ago and I was kidding her that it would probably wash his casket out of the grave. She said, "Lord, don't say that, I have not been back to see him yet." I said, mom, I don't think he will be very talkative.

Latest posts