Bull Buying Etiquette

Help Support CattleToday:

We have a friend that sends us the EPDs on her bull crop every year. Last year we were in the market and went out to look over the yearlings....the one that was in the trailer when we left wasn't the one that we went to look over (he has a DOS, EPD of 1 for a Lim)...most gentle animal on the place.
Anyway, have a good idea of what you want the bull to bring to your operation and know what price you can expect to pay and select from there after inspecting the bulls.
Some look good on paper and when you see them it makes a guy wonder if it is the same animal.
And hats my two bits worth...asked for or not...DMc

backhoeboogie":35o0e7np said:
They have also changed the name of practically everything. Come up with some long terms and then shortened every one of them with an acronym.

The pasture haggling is the most offensive thing anyone can do in my opinion. There's nothing worse than driving 20 miles to sell a guy some hay, only to find out he's needing a few bales and wants to pay less than the price you quoted on the phone. That is when you get in the truck, drive off, lock the gates, and let him buy trash hay, for more money, down the road. Then the low life snake sends someone else to buy the hay and you don't know it until a month later.

Boogie,

I don't want to hijack this thread but, is there something you need to tell us in a new thread? ;-)

Nowland Farms":wzlwekbi said:
backhoeboogie":wzlwekbi said:
They have also changed the name of practically everything. Come up with some long terms and then shortened every one of them with an acronym.

The pasture haggling is the most offensive thing anyone can do in my opinion. There's nothing worse than driving 20 miles to sell a guy some hay, only to find out he's needing a few bales and wants to pay less than the price you quoted on the phone. That is when you get in the truck, drive off, lock the gates, and let him buy trash hay, for more money, down the road. Then the low life snake sends someone else to buy the hay and you don't know it until a month later.

Boogie,

I don't want to hijack this thread but, is there something you need to tell us in a new thread? ;-)

Sounds like someone put a burr under Boogies blanket. Make sense what he says tho. Nothing pi$$es me off worse than one of my customers acting like they are the only one in the transaction that deserves to make a living, I've fired a couple over the years for that attitude and whipped one when I was younger for telling me that. The one thing I have figured out tho is " We all judge others based on our own values, we figure if we would do it then somebody would do it to us", right or wrong.

MikeC":3hoiv4zr said:
The best way to buy a bull is to explain your herd and aspirations to a reputable seedstock breeder and tell him to send you the best bull he has within your budget range to fit your criteria.

When he drives up with your new bull he will probably be better (for your situation) than the one you would pick out.

He will be under pressure to send you a good one because he wants your repeat business.

No one knows a bull like the man that raised him.

Mike C I do just that when I buy new bulls. I will get to know the breeder before buying. I will buy 3 at a time.( Heifer and two heard bulls) I have done this for a few years only got it put to me once. Found out seller was buying bulls at sale barn and selling as farm raised. I do believe I got better bulls than I would have picked.

backhoeboogie":10gzxk5r said:
2/B or not 2/B":10gzxk5r said:
I've asked them to tell me what they breed for in their cattle and what their strengths are.

Not to be critical of you, but it seems to me you need to decide what you want...

Well, fortunately I do know what I want and that's one of the first things I've shared with each breeder as well as my price range just to make it easier on all of us from the beginning. By asking a bit about them I figure I can see what they're about too and see if they're breeding for the things I'm looking for.

I have my first ranch visit scheduled for this weekend. Wish me luck :cboy:

About 5 years ago I went bull shopping. Made an appointment with a local breeder with a very good reputation. When I arrived he showed me around his place, and then to the bulls. He had bulls in three pens sorted by price - $1500, $2000, and $5000. I spent a lot of time examining each bull, finally picked three that I liked and asked him for the EPD's on each. I picked one out, but when we walked back out to the pens - the seller said that the bull I had picked was supposed to be in the $5000 pen, not the $2000 pen. He muttered something about his sons not seperating them right; but ultimately he sold me the bull for $2000. Seemed like a bad coincidence, but I didn't give it any thought since he sold me the bull for the correct price. Nice bull. As a matter of fact all of his stock was nice.

About 2 years later went back to the same breeder. This time I found a bull in $1500 pen that I really liked. Same story though; I was told that the bull I wanted was in the wrong pen and was actually a higher price. In my mind I was running through the scenario - he didn't pay any more for the various bulls - he raised them all, and they were all from his stock. The only reason for differening (priced) pens was apparently that the better the quality the higher the price. To this breeder he had the same amount of money in each one; so in my opinion to risk a customer getting mad / losing the customer, he should honor the price. Instead of arguing with him, I just told him that I had lost any interest in purchasing a bull from him and politely left. I will never buy anything from that farm again, and anyone who asks me about that farm will be told my experience.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.

cypressfarms":rday3kay said:
About 5 years ago I went bull shopping. Made an appointment with a local breeder with a very good reputation. When I arrived he showed me around his place, and then to the bulls. He had bulls in three pens sorted by price - $1500, $2000, and $5000. I spent a lot of time examining each bull, finally picked three that I liked and asked him for the EPD's on each. I picked one out, but when we walked back out to the pens - the seller said that the bull I had picked was supposed to be in the $5000 pen, not the $2000 pen. He muttered something about his sons not seperating them right; but ultimately he sold me the bull for $2000. Seemed like a bad coincidence, but I didn't give it any thought since he sold me the bull for the correct price. Nice bull. As a matter of fact all of his stock was nice.

About 2 years later went back to the same breeder. This time I found a bull in $1500 pen that I really liked. Same story though; I was told that the bull I wanted was in the wrong pen and was actually a higher price. In my mind I was running through the scenario - he didn't pay any more for the various bulls - he raised them all, and they were all from his stock. The only reason for differening (priced) pens was apparently that the better the quality the higher the price. To this breeder he had the same amount of money in each one; so in my opinion to risk a customer getting mad / losing the customer, he should honor the price. Instead of arguing with him, I just told him that I had lost any interest in purchasing a bull from him and politely left. I will never buy anything from that farm again, and anyone who asks me about that farm will be told my experience.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.

I guess you run into those types in every business. Missed something in childhood.

Nowland Farms":ugtk1u4i said:
Boogie,

:lol: Nowland, I was rambling again. Haggling can get offensive. Don't agree to look and then try to haggle. "So in so has a better bull and he's asking $500 less...." My reply would be, "Go buy that bull." If the customer says, "I aint paying that price" and then sends his cousin over to buy it for him, the customer is a snake.

I guess I never had the marbles to haggle in the pasture or corral. It's not a used car. I look at the bull and EPD, consider the price, and move on. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. This way I am welcome in their corral next year to view their new crop.

grubbie":rj4t87r0 said:
I guess I never had the marbles to haggle in the pasture or corral. It's not a used car. I look at the bull and EPD, consider the price, and move on. If you don't like the product, don't buy it. This way I am welcome in their corral next year to view their new crop.

I have bought quite a few bulls private treaty and I do not try to haggle with the seller. I've seen a few people do it, but the reward - if any - seems to pale in comparison against the "reputation" earned. I have had people "save" me good bulls until I could make it out to look, and many other favors. I've had a bull I picked out fail a BSE exam, and the seller gave me another choice and knocked some of the price off. These kind of things don't happen to people that are not repectful of the seller. We all have a job to do - mine is to try not to make anyone else's harder.

Latest posts