Bull breeding bred cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've seen it off and on my whole life. Have a bull, that seems to do more than his fair share. How isolated is this? Do other producers experience it?

Life ain't fair! dominant bull will get the most cows

Some bulls are just smarter too.. I've had some that do way too much foreplay, or jump the wrong end of the cow..

when I run two bulls I run two separate herds because I want specific cows bred to specific bulls.. once 45 days has gone by I'll put them back together and what happens will happen

Wait, you mean they're already bred and the bull is going in for Round 2 just because he has an insatiable appetite? Or are the cows standing and quite possibly not bred? Or 1 bull has way more game than the other(s)? In which case, yes the dominant bull prevails. And that's assuming the other bull(s) have a healthy libido.

TCRanch said:
Wait, you mean they're already bred and the bull is going in for Round 2 just because he has an insatiable appetite? Or are the cows standing and quite possibly not bred? Or 1 bull has way more game than the other(s)? In which case, yes the dominant bull prevails. And that's assuming the other bull(s) have a healthy libido.

Not sure what the explanation is, but I have seen this phenomenon before. I have 3 cows springing and bagging now, that he rebred about 5 months ago. Saw him breed the same cow 4 months in a row last year, and she stuck on the first service. The shocking part to me is they stand for it. My guess is he'd breed a bunch more if they'd just stand.

Bigfoot said:
TCRanch said:

Not sure what the explanation is, but I have seen this phenomenon before. I have 3 cows springing and bagging now, that he rebred about 5 months ago. Saw him breed the same cow 4 months in a row last year, and she stuck on the first service. The shocking part to me is they stand for it. My guess is he'd breed a bunch more if they'd just stand.
Gotcha. I'm going with false heat in the cows. I've had a couple that will stand for anything, pretty much any time. But I pull my bulls so they have only a 90 day window of opportunity. Of course, as Redgully pointed out, that sometimes segues into the situational bromance (awkward - look away! :shock: ).

Gonna bump this.

I've got a confirmed bred heifer that was showing heat. Just got bred again.
Will she abort?
Probly a stupid question...

The story is in my jersey heifer project thread under the got milk section.

Last edited:
I had a jersey cow got bred AI... she started standing and got "bull bred" 3 different months... vet reconfirmed her preg to the AI breeding and she calved with a jersey calf right on schedule.....

I guess if I had read Bigfoots reply a little more thoroughly, the answer was really there huh?

Anyway. It was worth the bump I think!

Thanks again Jan!

Last edited:
It's all in the hormones. A cow actually still has 21 day cycles even when bred. Progesterone from pregnancy suppresses signs of heat- just not all the time. I once had a cow that cycled every 21 days except after she calved and then she was only off by 1-2 weeks.

Here we go again!
Diving me crazy!!!
It's been more than 21 days tho.20220822_193051.jpg
He got his arse zapped good this time. Fence is hot hot. 8k hurts. I know! I got zapped this weekend putting panels in there to move out projects. Wearing flip flops! Felt it travel all the way thru and down and out. Bout knocked me down.

@MurraysMutts I think that's the primary reason why I haven't put electric fence. Deep down I know I'd eventually get zapped.
O yeah. It's great fun!
Gotta not get careless. The first time ain't so bad. If it gets ya a couple more time tho....

I was doing some weedeating a couple years back when I had same charger and much less feet of fence. Hit it once and said, "ok stupid, don't do that again.
What'd I do? Yep. Hit it again.
The 3rd time I had to call it quits and went in the house and laid down. That sob really took all my energy.

Just wanted to update a bit here.
Turns out this heifer wasn't bred at all! Even tho she was checked 3 months bred by a sale barn "vet"

But I now KNOW when she was bred and she did have at least one more heat after being bred. She has since calmed down. I don't have the bull here to experiment any further tho

Since there are two ovaries. They can still cycle from the other ovary even when pregnant. There have been a few documented cases of getting pregnant on two different cycles. So twins with have different gestational ages.