Bull Breeding Age

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
How young can a bull get a cow bred? I've heard 14 months, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. Also, can a bull that age get a full sized cow bred or will she be too big for him to mount?

Thanks.

14 months is a good age to start using them they could get it done a little earlier at 14 months they would need to be limited to number of cows id think 8 to 10 as far as reaching it will depend on the bull frame and the cow frame.

We've used a bull as young as 12 months after passing his BSE with flying colors. Normally we start using them at around 13 months with a dozen or so cows to breed as clean up. He'll be with a lot more then that but that's about what he ends up needing to service.

dun":3m25r12s said:
We've used a bull as young as 12 months after passing his BSE with flying colors. Normally we start using them at around 13 months with a dozen or so cows to breed as clean up. He'll be with a lot more then that but that's about what he ends up needing to service.

We had the exact thing happen last fall by total accident. Bought a yearling bull from a member here on CT and put him in with a group of cows and heifers thinking he'd keep to himself and grow out a bit more but danged if he didn't breed everyone of the cows and heifers.

Vet told us 1 cow per month of age as a rule - that's after he passes his test. I have been told to use more than one and switch them every 2 weeks to allow them time to rest and regain strength. Some won't eat when cows are in heat.
Blessings
Valerie

I agree with evryone's age posted so far, to answer your question a little further----------------It is not unheard of for a bull well under 12 months of age to breed a cow. It's not ideal, but it does happen.

If you're asking when he potentially could even when you don't mean him to, somewhere around 10 months. A well-grown, mature bull might do it even earlier.

Putangitangi":5iwtbx6j said:
If you're asking when he potentially could even when you don't mean him to, somewhere around 10 months. A well-grown, mature bull might do it even earlier.
Last year we turned a weaned bull calf (10 moonths old) with the bred cows and a couple of opens that were supposed to be eventually flushed. A month later we brought them all in and thought maybe he had bred one. All 3 were bred.

I turned four ten month old angus bulls out along side two mature hereford bulls intending to let the young guys grow up a little and maybe breed a cow or two and wound up with a whole bunch of black calves and a handful of baldies.

We bred our state fair winning bull, an October, to a cow in August. We actually ran him with two, but the first he could not quite reach (she is a big cow). The second was confirmed bred at 50 days via ultrasound, but she is a smaller cow. We collected him at Genex at 11 months, and got 176 straws from him.

Latest posts