bull breeding age

Help Support CattleToday:

J Baxter

Reaction score
How early will an angus bull breed? I have one that is just a calf (8 months) that is trying to breed cows. I didn't think that they could breed until 12 months or so.

JB

If they can penetrate they can breed. We have had them brred at 8 months.

Well then I guess he's bred one. I had placed him in a pasture with with a group of bred cows and a couple of pairs. He's already popped one of the open gals.

She may be bred then. Give her a shot of Lutlyce if you don't want her bred.

Those blasted Continental breeds will get you every time! Our very first bull was an Angus, and I'll be darned if he didn't breed a couple of 6 - 7 month old heifers. It was NOT a good way to learn from experience!

The only bull calves I'll run with cows / heifers when they are older than 6 months is a Brahman / Simbrah

Does it harm the bull, mentally or physically, to breed at an early age? I read that you shouldn't (on purpose) before he is a year.

txshowmom":3a1jrk7f said:
How soon after or how far after the bull gets in with the heifer can this shot be adminsistred :roll: ?

Two products for aborting heifers are Lutalyse and Estrumate. Both products induce regression of the corpus luteum. The corpus luteum produces progesterone, a hormone that aids in maintaining pregnancy. However, these products are less effective after 120 days of pregnancy because progesterone is being produced by the uterus at this stage.
Studies indicate that a deep intramuscular injection of 25 milligrams of Lutalyse to feedlot heifers at 100 days of gestation or less aborts about 80 percent of the time within 14 days and about 90 percent of the time within 35 days. These abortifacients are about 70 percent effective for heifers 100 to 150 days pregnant and not very effective for those over 150 days of gestation.

toby":1xd3wzjn said:
txshowmom":1xd3wzjn said:
How soon after or how far after the bull gets in with the heifer can this shot be adminsistred :roll: ?

Talk to the Vet, get your info from the source. When it comes to meds its better to use a professional, some one that knows for sure

txshowmom":1910bgtq said:
Two products for aborting heifers are Lutalyse and Estrumate. Both products induce regression of the corpus luteum. The corpus luteum produces progesterone, a hormone that aids in maintaining pregnancy. However, these products are less effective after 120 days of pregnancy because progesterone is being produced by the uterus at this stage.
Studies indicate that a deep intramuscular injection of 25 milligrams of Lutalyse to feedlot heifers at 100 days of gestation or less aborts about 80 percent of the time within 14 days and about 90 percent of the time within 35 days. These abortifacients are about 70 percent effective for heifers 100 to 150 days pregnant and not very effective for those over 150 days of gestation.

How expensive are these products?

Not too much. We just bought some Lutalyce and I think we paid 20 bucks for a 30 mL bottle.

Ask the vet what to expect after the shot. Boarded a mare once on 20 acres. Guy dropped off a two year old 'gelding' .... except that he bred a few mares before someone looked closer :mad: Mine having been seen 'caught,' I had the vet out. After the shot, my poor mare started sweating real bad, trembling and almost losing her balance. I'm sure it was worst for me than for her. It just would of been nice to know what to expect and I didn't think to ask first.

Latest posts