bull breeding age

Help Support CattleToday:

jcarkie

Reaction score
if a bull is able to breed at 1 year on a limited number of cows does it affect his growth? i have heard alot of people say that you should not breed them until they are at least 18 months old. :?: :shock:

The only way I know that it will affect their growth is if they are too busy following cows to take time to eat. Depending on your set-up and the gentleness of the bull they can be easily trained to come into an enclosure to get a daily ration of cubes or grain. If your breeding season is really short you can make it up when you take him out.

jcarkie":1gt5i83m said:
if a bull is able to breed at 1 year on a limited number of cows does it affect his growth? i have heard alot of people say that you should not breed them until they are at least 18 months old. :?: :shock:

jcarkie":35df2pet said:

I don't think it hurts a young bull to be put with cows for a defined breeding season. They usually recommend a young bull be put with about one cow for each month of age, 10-12 cows with a yearling, 14-16 with a 16 month old, etc. He needs to be in good condition when he's turned out and monitored to be sure that he's breeding cows. When the breeding season is done, generally 45-60 days, he should be pulled off the cows and pampered a bit. He is still growing and will until he's 3-4 years old. Good luck....

I have used one year old bull's on a very limited number of heifers usually no more than ten. I continue to supplement feed during the breeding season.

Latest posts