Bull breeding age

Help Support CattleToday:

This past fall/winter i had a 13 month old tex playbook son who was pretty short and he was a breeding machine. He covered all but 2 of 14 and those two were on watch for fertility issues anyway so im blaming them. What was actually the impressive part was he bred some cows that were comically taller than him including a Holstein x angus cross that was very tall. I told my wife he wouldnt be able to breed her but she was bred! I would of put that bull in with 20 and wouldnt bat an eye about it.

A young bull will eventually get them all bred - it depends if you expect him to get it done in 60 days or 120 days!!!
Absolutely! Re: my aforementioned "soldier down" bull. 2nd yearling bull did eventually get them all bred but, coupled with a drought & rotten hot heat, my "spring" calving became anywhere from Feb to Oct. Which eventually segued into pulling bulls earlier & culling hard.

My red poll bulls will breed mine and the neighbours cows at 10 months if they get a chance. I have an 11 month old speckle park bull and left him with a cow on heat the other day, he doesn't seem to understand what end to come at it! He had all night to figure it out so we will find out soon enough.

A young bull will eventually get them all bred - it depends if you expect him to get it done in 60 days or 120 days!!!

In regards to how many cows? The past two yearling bulls I've used covered 12-15 cows within a 60 day period with no trouble. Im sure once you reach a certain point there is going to be a problem but around how many cows are you thinking this happens?

I have learned over the years if a young bull is turned out with more cows than what you think he can cover he learns and gets the job done.
But a young bull turned out with less cows and then put on more cows later as he ages he's not able to cover them.
When I turn out a young bull I make sure he has plenty cows.
I turned out a red angus Friday on 20 black baldie heifers we will see if he takes care of them

Well, I stand corrected. I did put Woody & Willy together; same age, grew up together. Moved them over on the 22nd and so far, no fighting other than the occasional head butt, which they do anyway. Woody is clearly the dominant/alpha bull, Woody's never been a fighter, and it seems to be working out. For now.

Wonder if blue pills mixed in his feed will make him more virile.....

I remember someone posting something a while back about bull virility/fertility. Something about settling so many cows an hour?
The numbers were staggering to me.
I cant find it. I've searched several times

Wonder if blue pills mixed in his feed will make him more virile.....

I remember someone posting something a while back about bull virility/fertility. Something about settling so many cows an hour?
The numbers were staggering to me.
I cant find it. I've searched several times
Was that the post saying a bull can inseminate a cow every seven minutes? That really surprised me when i read that. No wonder they die of old age after a few years working.

I've got over 20 head with each of my yearling (14 month old at turn out) bulls. I'm expecting a good test as they are all on good small pastures (two of them less than 100 ac. each) with good grass and water so they don't need to spend their time travelling around. I will pull the bulls at the 60 day mark, but most I would expect to calve in a 45 day window.

I have always been told "A mature bull with a large scrotal CM and high libido can settle a cow every seven minutes."
We had a bull running with twenty cows. Ten days after turn out he was sore on his feet. A week later he wouldn't fallow the cows. He spent all summer in the thick timber all alone. Couldn't get him out, didn't want to shoot him, didn't dare turn another bull in. At that time we started calving apr 1st. by Apr 7th all 20 of those cows had calved!

I think it might be.
There some good info in that thread. Still cant find it.
That post from SBMF was the one i saw.

Latest posts