Bull breeding age

Help Support CattleToday:

dt34715

Reaction score
I have 2 bulls that I am raising. The are both out of Hoover Dam.
I normally turn my bull out by January 1st. The bulls will be 13 months at this date.
I have 20 cows. Would the be able to breed?

I have 2 bulls that I am raising. The are both out of Hoover Dam.
I normally turn my bull out by January 1st. The bulls will be 13 months at this date.
I have 20 cows. Would the be able to breed?
Yes they should be able to get the job done. Have them semen tested.
How big are the bulls? How tall are your cows? That can be a problem with young bulls.
I would run one with the cows and them the other. Or split the cows into two groups. Running them together will increase your chances of getting one of them hurt.

Yes they should be able to get the job done. Have them semen tested.
How big are the bulls? How tall are your cows? That can be a problem with young bulls.
I would run one with the cows and them the other. Or split the cows into two groups. Running them together will increase your chances of getting one of them hurt.
If I knew then what I know now! First bulls we bought were yearlings but both were tall, good size (no problem breeding my big girls). Turned them out together and one didn't even last 3 weeks before he ended up with a broken penis. Solder down! Since then, I will only have a younger & older bull "work" together.

If I knew then what I know now! First bulls we bought were yearlings but both were tall, good size (no problem breeding my big girls). Turned them out together and one didn't even last 3 weeks before he ended up with a broken penis. Solder down! Since then, I will only have a younger & older bull "work" together.
Sort of like Batman and Robin? 😅

I have always been told 1 bull or 3, but not 2. Never believed it till I saw it but 2 bulls will spend all there time knocking each other off the cow. If you have 3, while the two tough guys fight and the timid one gets the girl.

I have always been told 1 bull or 3, but not 2. Never believed it till I saw it but 2 bulls will spend all there time knocking each other off the cow. If you have 3, while the two tough guys fight and the timid one gets the girl.
How do you think I got my wife.......

How many cows would just one of the young bulls be able to breed.

again they are only 5 months old right now and it will be January before I'll need his service.

How many cows would just one of the young bulls be able to breed.

again they are only 5 months old right now and it will be January before I'll need his service.
That's kind of a loaded question. One young bull will be able to get them all bred eventually. If you want to keep them grouped up, I'd give each one of them 10 cows. Remember they've never done this before, it might take a try or to for them to figure it out.

That's why the difference in age works in my world. The older bull generally has more game, but if 2 or more cows are in heat, they all get bred. The younger bull rarely challenges the older bull - at least not for a couple years, and then it's usually time to either sell the older bull or "retire" him back to the heifers.

That's why the difference in age works in my world. The older bull generally has more game, but if 2 or more cows are in heat, they all get bred. The younger bull rarely challenges the older bull - at least not for a couple years, and then it's usually time to either sell the older bull or "retire" him back to the heifers.
I know you do a good job checking on your cattle, so it's a non issue. But I have seen in less managed herds, where the bigger bull broke his penis. He still wouldn't let the younger bull breed and most of the cows came up open.

I think one bull should be able to do it if your conditions are good.. such that he doesn't have to chase the cows all over halls half acre, etc...

Some bulls will wear themselves out chasing a cow for days, others just seem to go up to the cow, breed her, have an inspection sniff, and then walk off to find another cow.. I'll take the later every time.

I had a yearling bull breed a BIG old cow last year... he fell flat on his back a few times (we had a good laugh at that!) but he figured it out and got it done.. he had half my herd last year and did well

In theory, 2 bulls raised together should fight less.
Woody & Willy were raised together and clearly get along (eweeee, they're snuggling!). I have considered turning them out together because my calves would be more consistent, but a little concerned the love fest would be over. Pound for pound, it would be a fair fight.thumbnail_IMG_20200429_112938 (2).jpg

I know a person who had a bull in their herd tht was only around 8/9 months old when he started breeding cow's and he covered the whole herd of 30 some cow's.

Right now, we have a 13 month old bull out with 17 heifers. A few more than ideal but he comes from a line of pretty potent bulls fertility wise.

Latest posts