Bull breeders: question

Help Support CattleToday:

What I get to see and really like is feeding records and kill reports on the bulls half brothers. You know the ones that didn't get kept as bulls but were sent to the feedlot. There is no use to push the bull on a test when you know what the steers did for real in the feedlot.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2s1n4lvp said:
We just started selling stock, so we are kinda new at this. We consigned two purebred simm bulls to our state association sale this year in the Spring. When a friend came by (he owned the dam of one of the embryo bulls we were selling), he said I needed to start feeding my bulls! They had just been on hay (it was March). So I slowly brought them up on a bull ration (rumensen in it), and fed them for just under 30 days on grain (about 10 pounds a day). What a difference that made! My two bulls were high sellers, with one being the second high seller and the other being the third high seller of the bull sale. I was quiet pleased, and when people were walking around looking at cattle, if they asked I told them that the bulls were on grain for 30 days, and were at 10 pounds per day. Everyone seemed happy with that. We raise cattle on fescue out here, so take our bulls anywhere and they will not fall apart! They thrive on fesuce.
Here is a pic of the second high selling bull at $2900. He was 15 months old.
cupid_sale_sm.jpg

And the third high selling bull at $2650. He was 13 months old.
fuego_d.jpg

Do these bulls look fat?
Just my 2 cents. We sell about 5 bulls a year now, and all of our bulls are put on grain after weaning, but only about 6 pounds to supplement the grass or hay. Never had any complaints about our bulls falling apart. Yet!
I guess it's my inexperience, but I actually liked the 3rd highest seller best--maybe cause I'm partial to that color tho. I'd be dang happy to have had either one of them.

greybeard":2645j4f8 said:
I guess it's my inexperience, but I actually liked the 3rd highest seller best--maybe cause I'm partial to that color tho. I'd be dang happy to have had either one of them.
Me too, maybe the color but the thing that grabbed my eye was his topline.

Latest posts